Last Updated on July 16, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL
THEME – AGRICULTURE
TOPIC – IMPORTANCE AND FORMS OF AGRICULTURE
1. Meaning of Agriculture
2. Importance of Agriculture
3. Types of Agricultural Practice in their locality.
4. Form of Agricultural Activities in their community.
By the end of the lesson, the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. state the importance of agriculture.
2. explain the type of agriculture.
3. state forms of agricultural practices.
Planting crops and rearing of animals.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Posters showing the importance of agriculture.
2. Pamphlets, handbills and charts showing type of agriculture.
3. Charts and pictures of various forms of agricultural activities.
4. Specimen of farm produce e.g yam, orange, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF AGRICULTURE
Agriculture involves growing of crop and rearing of animals for the benefits of man or for human consumption.
The growing or planting of crops include food and cash crops. Rearing of animals include the domestic and wild animals. Food crops are met for immediate consumption while cash crop are both economy plants and trees.
Domestic animals are also known as farm animals while wild animals are reared in the wild or game reserves.
IMPORTANCE OF AGRICULTURE IN THE SOCIETY
1. Source of food
2. Creation of job opportunities
3. Source of income
4. Foreign exchange
5. Source of raw materials for the industries.
TYPE OF AGRICULTURAL PRACTICES IN THE LOCALITIES
1. Pastoral farming – This involves rearing of animals at home or on farm.
2. Arable farming – This involves growing of food and cash crops.
3. Mixed farming – This involves growing crops and rearing of animals at the same time.
FORMS OF AGRICULTURAL ACTIVITIES IN THE COMMUNITIES
1. Growing of crops – food and cash crops.
2. Livestock rearing – domestic and wild animals.
3. Fish breeding
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions;
2. Guides class discussion on the importance of agriculture though agriculture.
Student’s Activities – Guide discussion on agricultural importance in their local communities.
3. Guides class discussion on the type of agricultural practices.
Student’s Activities Guided discussion on agriculture practices.
4. Guides class to discuss on forms of agricultural activities.
Student’s Activities Guided discussion on agriculture activities.
5. Gives a board summary.
Student’s Activities – Copy the board summary
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. explain the importance of agriculture.
2. differentiate between foods and cash crops. Give examples.
3. differentiate between domestic and wild animals. Give examples.
4. identify the different types of agricultural practices.
5. name three forms of agricultural activities in their locality.