Importance of Arms of Government Primary 5 (Basic 5) Term 2 Week 5 Civic Education
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – Functions of the Arms of Government Primary 5 (Basic 5) Term 2 Week 4 Civic Education
TOPIC: ARMS OF GOVERNMENT
2. Importance of the Arms of Government
3. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. identify the arms of government.
2. state the importance of legislative arm of government.
3. mention the importance of executive arm of government.
4. list the importance of judiciary arm of government.
The pupils can state the functions of the arms of government.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of Photos, Video clips, Newspapers, Nigerian Constitution, Resource person
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – MEANING OF GOVERNMENT
There are three (3) arms of government, namely – executive, legislative and judiciary.
Each of the arm of government plays an important role in the progress and unity of the country.
IMPORTANCE OF THE LEGISLATIVE ARM OF GOVERNMENT
Legislative arm of government is the arm of government who makes law for good governance.
The importance of legislative arm of government are –
1. voting and approving of money and budget.
2. carrying out over sight function.
3. representing the people.
4. making policy.
5. amending the constitution.
6. controls the executive officials.
7. carryout impeachment and disciplinary actions on public servants.
8. approving ministers, ambassadors and treaties.
LESSON 2 – IMPORTANCE OF THE EXECUTIVE ARM OF GOVERNMENT
Executive arms of government is the arm of government who carries out day to day function of government.
The importance of executive arm of government are –
1. carrying out the general administration of the country.
2. executing the laws of the state.
3. executing bills for deliberation.
4. planning and preparing annual budget for the country.
5. signing bill into law.
6. maintaining diplomatic relationships with other countries.
7. carrying bilateral agreements with other countries.
LESSON 3 – IMPORTANCE OF THE JUDICIARY ARMS OF GOVERNMENT
Judiciary arm of government is the arm of government who interprets laws and activities of the legislative and executives.
The importance of judiciary arm of government are as follows –
1. serving as a watchdog of the legislative and executive.
2. interpreting the laws.
3. protecting the rule of law.
REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. The teacher introduces the lesson by revising the previous lesson – arms of government.
2. Teacher displays chart showing importance of each arm of government.
3. Teacher asks pupils to point each importance and describe.
Pupil’s Activities – Describe the importance of the arms of government as stated on the chart.
4. Teacher uses the importance of each arm of government, the chart and pupil’s responses in number three (3) above to introduce the lesson – Function of Arms of Government.
5. Teacher leads a discussion the importance of the arms of government – Functions of Legislative, Executive and Judiciary.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction to participate actively in the class discussion.
6. Teacher plays video clips (if available) of government institutions performing their primary duties and responsibilities, e.g. offices, National, Assembly, courts, etc.
Pupil’s Activities – Watch and make notes on video clips and pictures.
7. Teacher takes pupils on a trip to nearest government institutions (if any).
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the excursion, asks questions as discussed in the lesson and answer all the questions.
8. Teacher summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the lesson summary and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – necessity for division of government into three arms.
- Next Lesson – Difference between the Arms of Government Primary 5 (Basic 5) Term 2 Week 6 Civic Education
Teacher asks pupils to:
1. state the three arms of government.
2. mention 4 importance of the legislative arm of government.
3. list 4 importance of the executive arm of government.
4. give 4 importance of the legislative arm of government.
5. describe the relationship between the three (3) arms of government using appropriate examples.