THEME – CROPS
PREVIOUS LESSON – CLASSIFICATION OF CROPS ACCORDING TO THEIR LIFE SPAN
TOPIC – CLASSIFICATION OF CROPS ACCORDING TO THEIR TYPES AND USES
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to classify crops according to their forms, uses and life spans.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of different types of crops according to their life span.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
CLASSIFICATION OF CROPS ACCORDING TO TYPES AND USES
There are many kinds of crops which can be classify according to types and uses.
TYPES AND USES OF CROPS
These crops produce grains. Rice, wheat, maize, guinea corn, millets, etc. are examples of cereal crops.
Uses of cereal crops – lets the pupils state uses of rice, wheat, maize, guinea corn, millets, etc.
These produce pods that bear seeds in rows. Soybean, pea, peanut, cowpea, etc. are examples of legume crops.
Uses of legume crops – lets the pupils state uses of soybean, pea, peanut, cowpea, etc.
These crops are root crops. Potato, yam, cassava, Irish potato, etc. are examples of tuber crops.
Uses of tuber crops – lets the pupils state uses of potato, yam, cassava, Irish potato, etc
Fruits crops produce mainly fruits. Orange, mango, pawpaw, apple, pineapple, banana, etc. are examples of fruits
Uses of crops – lets the pupils state the use of mango, pawpaw, apple, pineapple, banana, etc.
Vegetables produce leaves, fruits and roots as food. Tomato, cabbage, okro, pepper, onion, carrot, etc. are examples of vegetables.
Uses of vegetables crops – lets the pupils state the uses of cabbage, okro, pepper, onion, carrot, etc.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Discusses the classification of crops according to types with the pupils.
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the discussion and state the uses of each crops according to types.
- Pupil’s Activities – State the uses of crops according to their types.
- Summarize the lesson on the board.
- Pupil’s Activities – Note
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Classification of Crops According to Form, Life Span, Types and Uses.
Attempt all the questions
1. ______________________ crops produce leave and seeds as food.
2. ______________________ crops are root crops.
3. ______________________ crops produce leaves, fruits and roots as food.
Group the following crops – maize, pawpaw, banana, pepper, onion, cocoa, tomato, rice, soybean, yam, mango, cassava and orange into
4. Legume crops
5. Tuber crops
8. Cereal crops
Give two examples of tuber crops.