BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – THINGS AROUND US
PREVIOUS LESSON – MEANING OF SOIL – SOIL AS PART OF OUR SURROUNDING
TOPIC – TYPES OF SOIL
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- name the types of soil.
- describe the different soil types.
- collect soil samples from – school garden farm and courtyards.
- observe the sample collected from soil in (3)above.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- School garden /farms
- Class courtyards
- Cutlasses, hoes and spades
- Bucket/basin, tins (cans)
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Lead the pupils outside the class within the school compound and let them collect soil from different location based on textures and colours. Lead back to the classroom.
Ask pupils to compare one soil with another.
TYPES OF SOIL
- The clay soil is called clay soil.
- The black soil is called loamy soil.
- The yellow white soil is called sandy soil.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Guides the pupils to make careful observations of soils samples collected from school garden/farm and courtyard.
- Pupil’s Activities – Collect soil sample from school garden/farm and courtyard.
- Guides pupils to describe the soil samples collected from the site mentioned above.
- Pupil’s Activities – Look closely feel and touch the soils collected from the sites mentioned above.
- Pupil’s Activities – Describe the differences soil sample collected.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Importance of Soil.
- name the difference soil types.
- observe and describe the soil.
- discuss the soil as part of our environment.