RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME: NATIONAL CONSCIOUSNESS AND IDENTITY
PREVIOUS LESSON – NATIONALISM
Patriotism means loyalty of person to his/her own nation or the leaders of nation. A patriot is a person who is on the side of his/her own nation or its leaders.
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to define patriotism and state the characteristics of patriotism.
The pupils are required to already have learned nationalism.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
PATRIOTISM – loyalty to the nation.
Patriotism is a love for one’s country and a desire to make her better. At the same time, a Patriot is a person who loves, supports and defends his or her country and its interest with devotion.
Patriotism is different from nationalism. A nationalist thinks that every ethnic group should have its own nation, so nations are to serve the people.
HOW TO SHOW PATRIOTISM/CHARACTERISTICS OF PATRIOTISM
- Promoting national interest;
- Placing the nation before self;
- Love for ones country;
- Loyalty to the nation.
LIST OF TOP NATIONALISTS/PATRIOTISM IN NIGERIA
- Nnamdi Azikiwe was born in 1904. He is the first president of Nigeria and the founder of Nigerian nationalism. He is popularly called ‘Zik’ or ‘Zik of Africa’. Zik helped establish the University of Nigeria after independence in 1962.
- Herbert Macaulay was pivotal in Nigeria’s fight to gain independence although he didn’t live to see this become a reality. He also created the National Council of Nigeria and Cameroon in the 1940s along with Nnamdi Azikiwe.
- Ahmadu Bello was born in 1919, Ahmadu Bello was another key figure in the country’s fight for independence. He was a school teacher that later became the Premier of the Northern Nigeria.
- Anthony Enahoro is another famous Nigerian personality. He’s well known for his social activism. He’s popularly known as the “Father of the Nigerian State”
- Obafemi Awolowo is another undisputed national hero. He was born in 1909 and was the first Premier of Western Nigeria. Also, he was a one time minister of Finance.
Click to Document…
CIVIC EDUCATION Plan Lesson Note Week 8 Doc
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Explains the meaning of patriotism;
- Asks pupils to mention contributions of any nationalist they know;
- Pupil’s Activities – Mention the names of some patriotism and their achievements.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – meaning of ethnicity.
- Next Lesson – Ethnicity
- define patriotism;
- state the characteristics of patriotism.