RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – FAMILY
PREVIOUS LESSON – PROCESSES IN CHANGING CULTURE AND DIFFERENCES
TOPIC – MARRIAGE CUSTOM AND PRACTICES
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Marriage
3. Steps in Selecting Marriage Partners
4. Values Relevant to the Selection of Partners
5. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify steps in selecting marriage partners.
2. identify and explain values relevant to the selection of partners.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Charts showing different marriage ceremony.
2. Lists of bride prizes.
3. Sample of registry certificate.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
MEANING OF MARRIAGE
Marriage is the union of a man and woman as husband and wife.
The union between a man and woman is legal and lawful union. It is marriage that make husband and wife to become a family.
A custom (or tradition) is a common way of doing things. Marriage Custom is a traditional way of becoming husband and wife.
STEPS IN SELECTING MARRIAGE PARTNERS
A number of steps lead to marriage. First, the man and the woman meet and the following steps are taken –
1. A Marriage Proposal
A marriage proposal is an act asking someone’s hand in marriage.
The process includes the following –
- Know the family of your partner.
- Abstain until after marriage.
- Heed your parents’ advice.
- Pray and ask God for Guidance
Courtship is a period of get to know one another. The both partners decide if there will be an engagement and then marriage. This period takes time. Sometimes, six months or less even more.
It requires –
- Constant visits to each other family.
- Giving gifts to the lady and her family.
- Exchange gifts between one another.
Courtship put an end to period of dating and give room to commitment to one another, seriousness and meaningful intimacy.
3. The Marriage Ceremony
Marriage ceremony is the final stage. Religious and other ceremony take place and proceed to the registry for official marriage certificate.
LESSON 2 – VALUES RELEVANT TO THE SELECTION OF PARTNERS
PRACTICAL DEMONSTRATION OF STEPS IN SELECTING MARRIAGE PARTNERS
Organize a short drama on steps in selecting marriage partners.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. Revises the previous lesson based on the pupil’s related knowledge or experience.
2. Displays chart showing marriage custom and practice in Nigeria.
3. Lets pupils identify and describe the custom and practice in Nigeria.
4. Asks pupils if they have witness a marriage ceremony. If yes, lets them discuss.
Pupil’s Activities – Share their experiences on marriage ceremony they have witnessed.
3. Discuss marriage custom with the pupils.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in discussion on marriage.
4. Explains the steps in selecting partners.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to teacher’s explanations.
5. Leads a discussion on the relevant values to partner selection.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the class discussion.
6. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. explain marriage and custom.
2. state 3 steps in selecting marriage partners.
3. state and explain 4 values relevant to the selection of partners.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. _______ is a union between a man and a woman to become husband and wife.
2. A _______ is an act asking someone’s hand in marriage.
3. _______ is a period of get to know one another.
4. _______ follow immediately after courtship.
5. _______ is the final stage of selecting partners.
6. What is marriage?
State the steps in selecting partners.
10. What is a custom?