BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – LEARNING ABOUT OUR ENVIRONMENT
PREVIOUS LESSON – Plants – Weeds (Unwanted Plants) | Identification and Meaning of Weeds | Importance of Weeds | Ways | of Protecting the Soil and Environment against Pollution Primary 4 (Basic 4) ASEI PDSI METHOD
TOPIC – PESTS AND DISEASES OF CROP PLANTS
Lesson One – Common Pests
Lesson Two – Common Diseases
Lesson Three – Control of Pests and Diseases
Lesson Four – Revision/Test
TIME – 40 Minutes each.
By the end of the lesson, pupils should be able to:
1. Identify common pests and diseases of crop plants.
2. How to control pests and diseases of crop plants.
A crop plants are grown and harvested for profit or subsistence. Most crop plants are cultivated in agriculture. Unlike weeds that reduce the quantity and quality of crop plants, pests and diseases don’t only reduce but also destroy crop plants.
Pests are rodents like rats, rabbits, birds, insects, etc. Some of these pests carry plants diseases.
In order to quantities and quality of crop plants, it is very important to know these common pests and diseases and how to control them.
The concept of common pests and diseases will enable pupils to know how to control pests and diseases in the farm or school garden.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Sample of crop plants eaten by pests
2. Sample of crop plants affected by diseases.
3. Charts of crop plants pests and diseases.
The pupils have the knowledge of crop plants eaten by pests and affected by diseases but don’t know how to properly control these pests and diseases.
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Lagos State Scheme of work
MacMillan Basic and Science and Technology Book 4
All Relevant Materials
ASEI PDSI PLAN ON PEST AND DISEASES OF CROP PLANTS
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 1 – COMMON PESTS doc
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 2 – COMMON DISEASES doc
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 3 – CONTROL OF PESTS AND DISEASES docx
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 4 – REVISION/TEST
TEST – Attempt all the questions
1. __________ and __________ do a lot of damage to crop plants.
2. Some of the __________ are carried by pests.
3. Some pests are farmer’s friends.
4. The following are the methods of controlling pests and diseases.
a. Fungi, bacteria and viruses
b. Rats, birds and insects
5. ____________ affect part or entire plants.
Mention 2 types of pests
Mention 2 types of diseases.
10. What is the effects of pests and diseases on crop plants
a. Damage the crop plants
b. Weaken crop plants