THEME – BASIC CONCEPTS OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Computer Keyboard Shortcuts Keys Primary 5 (Basic 5) Term 1 Week 3 Information Technology (Computer Studies)
TOPIC – THE INTERNET
2. Meaning of Internet
3. History of Internet
4. Internet Terminologies (Terms)
5. Revision, Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the meaning of Internet.
2. briefly describe the history of Internet.
3. state the Internet terminologies.
Some of the pupils have the idea of what is Internet.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of functional computers and mobile phones with Internet connectivity.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Internet is a network that connects computers worldwide.
It is the largest computer network in the world.
Internet is no longer limited to personal computers, internet can be accessed through personal phone, tablet, television and other electronic devices.
HISTORY OF INTERNET
The internet was developed in the United States by the “United States Department of Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency” (DARPA). It was first connected in October, 1969, and was called Arpanet. Prior to this, the various computer networks did not have a standard way to communicate with each other.
A new communications protocol was established called Transfer Control Protocol/Internetwork Protocol (TCP/IP). This allowed different kinds of computers on different networks to “talk” to each other. All networks could now be connected by a universal language.
The World Wide Web was created at CERN in Switzerland in 1990 by a British (UK) man named Tim Berners-Lee.
Today, people can pay money to access the internet from internet service providers. Some services on the Internet cost nothing to use. Sometimes the people who offer these free services use advertising to make money from them. The alternative (other) name, “net” came from “inter(net)”.
The internet is used for many things, such as electronic mail, online chat, file transfer, and the interlinked web pages and other documents of the World Wide Web.
Source – Internet facts for kids and A Brief History of the Internet
LESSON 2 – INTERNET TERMINOLOGIES
Terminologies are special languages or terms used in business, study, field or profession.
The internet terminologies or terms are as follows:
2. Web Page
3. Homepage (HTML)
7. Uniform Resource Locator (URL)
8. Link or Hypertext Link
9. Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP)
10. Internet Protocol (IP) Address
11. File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
13. Search engine
15. Network and data, etc.
HAND ON ACTIVITIES
The organizes pupils in groups or pairs depending on the size of the class and functional computers and mobile phones to find the meaning of each of the internet terminology.
LESSON 3 – USES OF INTERNET
The uses of Internet are as follows:
1. Sending and receiving mail
3. Downloading files
4. Group chat
5. Playing games
6. Education and self improvement.
7. Online dating and friendship
8. Electronic newspapers and magazines
9. Find jobs
11. Find location and directions
REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher organizes the pupils in groups or pair depending on the size of the class and available computers and mobile phones with Internet connectivity.
3. Teacher asks the groups or pairs to turn on their computers and connect them to the internet using modem or share data.
4. Teacher guides the groups or pairs to search for the meaning of internet.
Pupil’s Activities – Search for the meaning of internet.
5. Teacher uses the group’s or pair’s activities to introduce the lesson and discuss the meaning of internet.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction to understand the concept of the lesson to define the internet.
6. Teacher tells pupils brief history of Internet.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the history of internet and summarize as discussed by the teacher.
7. Teacher uses the computers and mobile phones with Internet connectivity to discuss the uses of Internet.
Pupil’s Activities – Analyze the importance of Internet in the world at large.
8. Teacher summarizes the lesson on the board with appropriate evaluation.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary of the lesson and write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Meaning and Types of Networking | Uses of Networking Primary 5 (Basic 5) Term 1 Week 5 Information Technology (Computer Studies)
Teacher asks pupils,
1. explain the meaning of internet.
2. discuss briefly the history of internet.
3. state 5 uses of Internet.
4. analyse the importance of internet in education.