RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – NATIONAL CONSCIOUSNESS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Other Elements of National Identity – Payment of Tax | Work for the Success of the Nation | Respecting National Symbols Primary 3 (Basic 3)
TOPIC – PATRIOTISM
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Patriotism
3. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. explain patriotism.
2. demonstrate how to show patriotism.
The pupils can stand still and salute while singing national anthems and saying the national pledge.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. National anthems
2. National pledge
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Copy as I write or draw as I write. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Based on the previous lesson – Other Elements of National Identity – Payment of Tax | Work for the Success of the Nation | Respecting National Symbols Primary 3 (Basic 3), lead the pupils to sing national anthems and say national pledge. Observe the the pupils, pick out the pupils who shows respect by singing the national anthems and saying the national pledge.
Pupil’s Activities – Active participation in the teacher’s leading.
Teacher’s remark – Give a great cheer for the pupils that shown respect while singing national anthem and saying national pledge. These are patriot pupils, they stand still and salute while singing the national anthems and saying the national pledge. Ask the pupils, what is patriotism. Listen to their explanation and summary the meaning on the board.
Copy as I write on the board.
MEANING OF PATRIOTISM
Patriotism is the love and loyalty for one’s country.
Nigeria is our country and father’s land, we must rise as Nigerians and obey to serve our our country With love, strength, faith and uttermost devotion thoughts, words, and actions.
LESSON 2 – REVISION AND WEEK LESSON ASSESSMENT
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Leads pupils to discuss the meaning of patriotism.
Pupil’s Activities – Active participation and explain patriotism.
3. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to –
1. explain patriotism.
2. demonstrate how to show patriotism using national anthems and pledge.
ATTEMPT ALL THE QUESTIONS
1. ______________ is one of the ways to show patriotism when singing or saying national anthems or pledge.
A. Stand and salute
B. Sit and salute
C. Sat and salute
2. Patriotism must shown in ______________.
3. ______________ is the one love his/her country with uttermost devotion.
4. Respect for our national identity and symbols is ______________.
5. ______________ is the love and loyalty for one’s country.