CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS STUDIES
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – PRAYER
PREVIOUS LESSON – Third Term Examination Kindergarten (Age 5)
TOPIC – MEANING OF PRAYER
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Prayer
3. Why we should Pray?
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the meaning of prayer.
2. state the reasons why people pray.
The pupils can say the Lord’s prayer loud and clear.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Written prayers (The Lord’s Prayer).
2. Pictures showing people in prayer.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
THE LORD’S PRAY
Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy Name,
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those
who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
and the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever. Amen.
MEANING OF PRAYER
Prayer is a way we talk to God and God talks to us.
SONG ABOUT PRAYER
Prayer is the key x2
Prayer is the master key
Jesus started with pray
And ended in pray
Prayer is the prayer
LESSON 2 – REASONS WHY WE PRAY
People pray for so many things. People prayers are different from one another depending on their needs and wants. Some of the reasons we pray are –
1. For our daily needs
2. For protection
3. For healing
4. For wisdom and understanding
5. For success
6. For promotion
7. For growth and development
8. For physical and spiritual blessings
9. Parent pray for their children
10. Children pray for their parents
11. We pray to thank God, etc.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Leads pupils to say the Lord’s Prayer correctly.
Pupil’s Activities – Say the Lord’s Prayer correctly.
3. Discuss the meaning of prayer.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in discussion on prayer.
4. Helps pupils to understand and state why people pray.
Pupil’s Activities – State the reasons why people pray.
5. Summarizes each of the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. say the Lord’s prayer.
2. Say the meaning of prayer.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. ______ is a way we talk to God and God talks to us.
2. When pray we pray to ______.
3. We must pray everyday.
4. When we were pray, we talk to God.
5. Everybody pray.
6. We must always pray for our family.
7. We must pray for Nigeria too.
8. When we pray, we ask God for our daily needs.
9. Pray is the master key.
10. Jesus also pray.
11. Jesus started with _______.
12. Jesus ended with _______.
13. We can pray any where.
14. Do you pray before you eat?
15. Do you pray today?