BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – BASIC COMPUTER OPERATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – Classification of Computer by Purpose Primary 5 (Basic 5) – Computer Studies
1. Introductory Activities
2. Mainframe Computer
3. Size of Mainframe Computer
4. Uses of Mainframe Computer
5. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. identify supercomputer.
2. describe the size, speed and uses of supercomputer.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chart shows super computer.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – MEANING OF SUPERCOMPUTERS
Super computer is the most biggest, powerful and fastest computer system.
SIZE OF SUPERCOMPUTER
A supercomputer has a capacity of 200 to 300 gigabytes or more.
SPEED OF SUPERCOMPUTER
It is about 50,000 times faster than a micro computer.
LESSON 2 – USES OF SUPERCOMPUTER
Super computers play an important role in the field of computational science and intensive tasks in various fields, including quantum mechanics, weather forecasting, climate research, oil and gas exploration, etc.
They are used by big organizations, government agencies and universities that can afford it.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Display chart showing supercomputer.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify and describe the physical part of supercomputer.
3. Discusses the size, speed and uses of supercomputer.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify the size, speed and uses of supercomputer.
4. Summarize the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the pupils write.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to discuss the size, speed and uses of supercomputer.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. ________ is the most biggest, powerful and fastest computer system.
2. A supercomputer has a capacity of ________ gigabytes or more.
A. 20 – 30
B. 200 – 300
C. less than 200
D. less than 300
3. Super computer is about 50,000 times faster than a ________.
A. Personal computer
B. Mainframe computer
C. Micro computer
D. Mini computer
4. Super computer are used by big organizations, government agencies and universities that can afford it.
5. Super computer is used by only those who can afford it.