Other ways through which Civic Education can be Important – Tolerance, Patriotism and Cooperation Primary 1 (Basic 1) Term 1 Week 6 Civic Education
NATIONAL VALUES EDUCATION
THEME: CIVIC EDUCATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – Ways through which Civic Education can be Important – The Media Primary 1 (Basic 1) Term 1 Week 4 Civic Education
TOPIC – CIVIC EDUCATION
1. Introductory Activities
2. Concept of Patriotism, Tolerance, Cooperation, Honesty and Self Reliance
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify tolerance, patriotism and cooperation as other ways through which civic education can be important.
2. analyze the importance of patriotism, tolerance and cooperation in their communities.
The pupils can analyze the importance of work together.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of drama or short story
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Civic Education is a subject that teaches us our duties and responsibilities as members of the communities. In civil education, we learn our duties towards the government and our community and also learn the duties of the government towards us.
There are other ways civic education can be important,
1. Through honesty
2. Through self reliance
3. Through tolerance
4. Through patriotism
5. Through cooperation
MEANING OF TOLERANCE
Tolerance is the willingness to accept other people’s behavior, beliefs, opinions or practices that are different from your own.
IMPORTANCE OF TOLERANCE
The importance of tolerance are as follows:
1. It creates unity.
2. It leads to open exchange of ideas.
3. It helps people to live together peacefully.
4. It strengthen one another.
5. It encourages people to share values and ideas.
LESSON 3 – MEANING OF PATRIOTISM
Patriotism is the love and loyalty for one’s country.
IMPORTANCE OF PATRIOTISM
The importance of patriotism are as follows:
1. To promote unity.
2. To promote growth and development.
3. To ensure full and proper use of resources.
4. To help the nation benefit from our knowledge and skills.
MEANING OF COOPERATION
Cooperation is the process of working together for the purpose of achieving common goals.
IMPORTANCE OF COOPERATION
The importance of cooperation are as follows:
1. It leads to communal efforts.
2. It leads to shared responsibilities
3. It helps to one another in times of needs.
4. It encourages people’s willingness to assist
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND CONTINUOUS ASSESSMENT
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher organizes pupils in group or pairs depending on the size of the class or available instructional materials.
3. Teacher asks pupils to analyze the importance of honesty in their communities.
4. Teacher uses the story and pupil’s responses to questions to introduce the lesson and leads a discussion on other ways civic education can be important – tolerance, patriotism and cooperation.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction and participate actively in the class discussion.
5. Teacher leads a discussion on the meaning and importance of tolerance, patriotism and cooperation.
6. Teacher explains how civic education can be important through tolerance, patriotism and cooperation.
Pupil’s Activities – The learners analyze the importance of tolerance, patriotism and cooperation in their communities.
7. Teacher summarizes the lessons on the board by using appropriate lesson evaluation.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary of the lesson by responding correctly to the questions and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
First Term Civic Education Mid Term Test Primary 1 (Basic 1)
Teacher asks pupils to:
1. state 5 other ways through which civic education can be important.
2. explain the meaning of tolerance, patriotism and cooperation.
3. mention 3 importance of tolerance.
4. state 3 importance of patriotism.
5. mention 3 importance of cooperation.
Choose the correct answer.
1. ________ is the act of being truthful to one another in all things.
B. Self reliance
2. ________ is the ability of doing things by yourself without the help of other people.
3. ________ is the process of working together for the purpose of achieving common goals.
B. Self reliance
4. ________ is the love and loyalty for one’s country.
B. Self reliance
5. ________ is the willingness to accept other people’s behavior, beliefs, opinions or practices that are different from your own.