Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME: GAMES AND SPORTS
PREVIOUS LESSON – FIRST TERM EXAMINATION LINKS FOR PRIMARY SCHOOLS
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. narrate the history of hockey in Nigeria;
2. state hockey facilities and equipment;
3. draw and label the hockey pitch with dimensions.
The pupils are required to already have learned in basic 4 and 5;
1. Table tennis
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
4. Video clips
5. Hockey pitch
6. Hockey sticks
7. Hockey ball
9. Stop watch
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Hockey is a sport in which two teams play against each other by trying to maneuver a ball into the opponent’s side using a hockey stick. There are different types of hockey such as field hockey and ice hockey.
HISTORY OF HOCKEY IN NIGERIA
Hockey game was introduced into Nigeria by European in 1928, who introduced and played the game in various schools and colleges in the country.
Hockey became regular feature in inter-house sport competitions of Kings’ College, Igbobi College and St. Gregory’s College, and with some army unit teams, friendly matches were being conducted.
The Nigeria Hockey Federation (NHF) is the governing body of Field Hockey in Nigeria. It is affiliated to IHF International Hockey Federation and AHF African Hockey Federation. The headquarter of NHF is in Abuja, Nigeria.
FACILITIES AND EQUIPMENT
The hockey stick and ball
The protector (helmet/facemask with mouth guard, neck guard, shoulder/elbow/shin pads, gloves, paint)
The shoes (field and ice)
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Narrates the history of hockey in Nigeria;
3. Mention the facilities and equipment;
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher.
4. Draws and labels hockey pitch;
Pupil’s Activities – Draw and label the court.
5. Summarizes the major points on the board;
Pupil’s Activities – write notes.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. Narrates the history of hockey in Nigeria;
2. mention the facilities and equipment;
3. draw and label hockey pitch.