Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – HANDBALL – RULES AND REGULATION, OFFICIALS AND THEIR DUTIES (PRIMARY 6)
TOPIC: FIRST AID – COMMON EMERGENCY CONDITIONS THAT REQUIRE FIRST AID
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
1. Identify the emergency conditions that require first aid.
2. Identify the first aid treatments for each emergency condition.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
4. Video clips
5. First Aid box and its contents
6. Mats, etc.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF FIRST AID
First aid is the assistance given to any person suffering a sudden illness or injury, with care provided to preserve life, prevent the condition from worsening, or to promote recovery.
CONTENT OF A FIRST AID BOX (KIT)
3. Cotton wool
4. Gentia violet
10. And so on.
COMMON EMERGENCY CONDITIONS THAT REQUIRE FIRST AID
Many lives are saved year through first aid, given before the emergency services arrived. Emergency first aid is the care that is given to an injured or sick person prior to treatment by medically trained personnel.
8. Muscle cramp
11. Heat exhaustion
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Leads pupils to recall what first aid is, and the content of a first box.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the class activities.
3. Explains the common emergency conditions that may require first aid.
Pupil’s Activities – List the common emergency conditions that may require first aid and practice.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. List emergency conditions that require first aid.
2. Mention the first aid treatment for each of the conditions.