RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME: NATIONAL CONSCIOUSNESS AND IDENTITY
PREVIOUS LESSON – PATRIOTISM
1. Meaning of Ethnicity
2. Problems of Ethnicity
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. list and discuss some of the problems of ethnic, state and group loyalty.
2. locate different ethnicity on map of Nigeria.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of –
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF ETHNICITY
Ethnicity is a social group consciousness that influence social economic and political decisions.
It is a feeling that one’s social group has been cheated in resource allocation.
PROBLEMS OF ETHIC STATE AND GROUP LOYALTY
1. Ethnic crisis
2. Political instability
3. Election mal – practice
4. Influence of census figures, etc.
MAP OF NIGERIA SHOWING SHOWING DIFFERENT ETHNICITY IN NIGERIA
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the
previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Explains the meaning and problem of ethnicity.
Pupil’s Activities – Explain the meaning and problem of ethnicity.
3. Guides the pupils to locate the groups on the map of Nigeria
Pupil’s Activities – Locate the various ethnic groups on the map of Nigeria.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. state the meaning of ethnicity.
2. list 3 problems facing ethnic groups and discuss them.
3. locate 3 ethnic on the map of Nigeria.