RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – ARMS OF GOVERNMENT (PRIMARY 5)
TOPIC: NECESSITY FOR DIVISION OF GOVERNMENT INTO THREE ARMS
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to state why the the division of government into three arms is necessary.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Video clips
- Nigerian Constitution
- Resource person
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF GOVERNMENT
Government is the group of people with authority to govern the public affairs.
THE ARMS OF GOVERNMENT
1. Legislature – make laws.
2. Executive – carry out laws.
3. Judiciary – interpret laws and activities of the legislature and executive.
NECESSITY FOR DIVISION OF GOVERNMENT INTO THREE ARMS
Division necessary because:
1. Avoid too much power.
2. Avoid abuses or dictatorship.
3. Ensure that the Constitution is obeyed and not violated.
4. For orderliness the Executives enact the law while the judiciary interpret the law.
5. Legislature makes the law.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions
2. Guides pupils to mention people they see in government and government institutions.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify some government officials and institutions.
3. Shows pictures or video clips of government institutions e.g. offices, National, Assembly, courts etc.
Pupil’s Activities – Watch and make notes on video clips and pictures.
5. Takes pupils on a trip to government institutions.
Pupil’s Activities – Role – play or simulate some government functionaries.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – concept of government.
Pupils to state why the the division of government into three arms is necessary.