TOPIC: Stewing Method of Cooking
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to:
- discuss the stewing methods.
- state advantages and disadvantages of stew method.
The pupils are required to already know how to cook.
Related links – Boiling methods, Steaming Method of Cooking, frying method of cooking
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Charts showing the different cooking methods.
- Food ingredients for meal preparation.
- Cooking pot, stove, oven, frying pan, etc.
- Relevant books.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Stewing method is the method of food slowing or with low heat with water in a covered pot.
ADVANTAGES OF STEWING METHOD
- It retains food nutrients in the stewing liquid.
- It retains flavor.
DISADVANTAGES OF STEWING METHOD
- It is long and slow method.
- It takes time than boiling method.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Guides discussion on stewing methods of cooking.
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the discussions.
- Gives a board summary.
- Pupil’s Activities – Copy the board summary.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson – roasting method of cooking.
- state 2 advantages of stewing method.
- state 2 disadvantages of stewing method.