BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
PRIMARY 3 THEME:
PREVIOUS LESSON – System Unit IV – Functions of the CPU (Primary 3)
TOPIC – STORAGE DEVICES LEARNING AREA
1. Meaning of Storage Devices
2. Types of Storages
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. explain the term storage device.
2. identify types of computer storage devices
Memory card and flash drive
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons. Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
One of the functions of computer system is to store information.
The parts of computer system that stored information (data) is called
MEANING OF STORAGE DEVICES
Storage devices are devices where data or information are stored.
Storage devices are parts of the computer system that we used for storing information.
TYPES OF COMPUTER STORAGE DEVICES
Storage device is a device that stored data. There two types of storage devices are –
1. INTERNAL STORAGE DEVICES
This is the main storage device inside computer system.
It is called primary storage. There two types of internal storage devices –
I. RAM – Random Access Memory
II. ROM – Read Only Memory
2. EXTERNAL STORAGE DEVICES
This is the secondary storage devices. These storage devices are removable.
They include –
1. Memory card
2. Flash drive
3. CD/DVD ROM
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Displays and explain a system unit on the table.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify and explain a system unit on the table.
3. Shows pupils types of storage devices.
Pupil’s Activities – Examine the storage devices on display.
4. Guides pupils to list types of storage devices
Pupil’s Activities – Mention types of storage devices.
5. Guides pupils to identify different types of computer storage devices.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify different types of computer storage devices.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to –
Mention 2 types of storage devices.
Gives 2 types of internal storage.
List 4 types of external storage.
9. ____________________________ is a device that stored data.
A. Memory card
B. Flash drive
C. Storage devices
10. Identify and name the following storage devices.