NATIONAL VALUES EDUCATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – The Concept of Local Government – Meaning and Importance of Local Government Primary 4 (Basic 4) – Term 2 Week 3 Social Studies
TOPIC: THE PROBLEMS OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT
2. The Problems of Local Government
3. The Solutions of the Problems of Government
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. mention the problems of local government.
2. suggest the solutions to the problems of local government.
Some of the pupils can identify some of the problems of local government and their likely solutions.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of charts showing some of the problems of local government and their likely solutions.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Local Government is one of the types of government and the most closest to the people.
Local Government is a body of people who control public affairs of the local communities.
It is also called grassroot government and headed by the chairman.
PROBLEMS OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT
The closest government to the people is known as local government.
Government at different levels have their own problems. Below are the problems of local government –
1. Inadequate funds
2. Limited authority and power
3. Corruption and mismanagement
4. Lack of dedication to work
5. Inability to maintain law and order
6. Inadequate maintenance of the existing infrastructures
Note – The problems of local government are varies from one local to another. Mostly, they have similar problems.
LESSON 2 – SOLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT
1. More money should be made available to the local government.
2. The local government should be given more power so that it can solve more problems for the people.
3. Corrupt and lazy workers of the local government must be found out and punished by government.
4. Local government activities must be made known to the people so that the people can monitor their progress, and cooperate towards success.
5. The local government should get closer to the people and know their problems so that they can solve them.
6. Regular and adequate maintenance of the existing infrastructures.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Displays chart showing some of the problems of the local government and their likely solutions.
3. Allows the pupils to examine these problems and state the possible causes.
4. Waits for their responses.
Pupil’s Activities – Analyze the chart and state the possible causes.
5. Uses the chart and their responses to introduce the lesson and leads a discussion on the problems of local government and their possible causes.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction and participate actively in the class discussion.
6. Uses the likely causes of the problems of local government as the solutions to the problems of local government.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify and state the solutions to the problems of local government.
7. Asks the pupils to state the effects of some of the problems of local government in their locality.
- Also, the effects of the possible solutions to these problems.
Pupil’s Activities – State the effects of some of the problems of local government in their locality.
8. Summarizes the each lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. state 3 problems of local government.
2. suggest 3 solutions to the problems mentioned.