The Concept of Local Government – Meaning and Importance of Local Government Primary 4 (Basic 4) – Term 2 Week 3 Social Studies
NATIONAL VALUES EDUCATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – The Concept of Government – Meaning and Types of Government Primary 4 (Basic 4) – Term 2 Week 2 Social Studies
TOPIC: THE CONCEPT OF GOVERNMENT
2. The Concept of Local Government
3. Importance of Local Government
4. The Benefits of Local Government to the People
5. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the concept of local government.
2. state the importance of local government.
3. find out the names of their local government and its current chairman.
4. analyze the benefits of local government.
Some of the pupils can recognize the local government chairman of their locality.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chart showing the local government chairman of their locality and some of their accomplishments.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Government is the body of people who control public affairs of a nation at the federal, state and local level.
Local Government is one of the types of government and the most closest to the people.
Local Government is a body of people who control public affairs of the local communities.
It is also called grassroot government and headed by the chairman.
IMPORTANCE OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT
The importance of local government to the people are –
1. It helps bring the government closer to the people.
2. It also bring the people closer to the government.
3. It provides social amenities for members of the community. These amenities include markets, schools, clinics, wards, etc.
4. It makes rules and regulations to guide activities in its communities.
5. It makes sure that there are good sanitary conditions in all its communities.
5. It helps to maintain peace and order in the area through the police and customary courts.
1. Find out the name of your local government and its chairman.
2. State 5 area within your local government area.
LESSON 2 – REVISION AND LESSON EVALUATION
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Displays chart/almanac showing the local government chairman and some of the its accomplishments.
3. Asks the pupils if they know or have see the person on the chart/almanac. If yes, ask them who is he/she?
Pupil’s Activities – Identify the local government chairman of their locality.
4. Uses the chart/almanac to introduce the lesson and explain the concept of local government.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction and explain the concept of local government.
5. Asks the pupils to examine the chart/almanac again, guide to identify some of the accomplishments of the chairman.
6. Uses the accomplishments to lead a discussion on the importance of local government.
Pupil’s Activities – Itemize the importance of the local government in order to participate actively in the lesson discussion.
7. Allow the pupils to analyze the benefits of the local government in their locality.
Pupil’s Activities – Analyze the benefits of the local government in their locality.
8. Summarizes the each lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – The Problems of Local Government and Solutions to the Problems of Local Government Primary 4 (Basic 4) – Term 2 Week 4 Social Studies
Ask pupils to:
1. explain the meaning of local government.
2. state the name of your local government and the state it belongs.
3. mention 3 importance of local government.
4. analyze the benefits of local government in their community.