The Promise of Saviour, Meaning of Emmanuel | Names of Prophets that Foretold the Birth of Jesus | The Prophecy of Isaiah on the Birth of Jesus Primary 3 (Basic 3) Term 2 Week 1 Christian Religious Studies
CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS STUDIES
THEME – GOD’S PROMISES IN THE BIBLE
PREVIOUS LESSON – Exam Questions – First Term Examination Christian Religious Studies Primary 3 (Basic 3)
TOPIC – THE PROMISE OF SAVIOUR
2. Meaning of Emmanuel
3. Names of Prophets that Foretold the Birth of Jesus
4. The Prophecy of Isaiah on the Birth of Jesus
5. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. give the meaning of Emmanuel.
2. mention the names of prophets that foretold the birth of Jesus.
3. recall some of the prophecies of Isaiah concerning the birth of Jesus.
Most of the pupils can narrate the birth of Jesus Christ.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Picture or drawing of a prophet.
2. Picture or drawing of Jesus being arrested or being tried.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Bible Reading – Matthew 1:23
“A virgin will become pregnant and have a son, and he will be called Emmanuel” (which means, “God is with us”).
MEANING OF EMMANUEL
According to Mathew 1:23, Emmanuel means God is with us.
EMMANUEL AND IMMANUEL
The difference between transliteration and translation is that one translates the pronunciation from one language to the other, while the other translates the meaning.
Immanuel is original Hebrew name while Emmanuel is original Greek name.
Immanuel and Emmanuel point to the same meaning with two different spellings.
THE NAMES OF PROPHETS THAT FORETOLD THE BIRTH OF JESUS
The following prophets that foretold the birth of Jesus are
1. Prophet Isaiah
2. Prophet Micah
3. The scribes
Supporting Bible Reading,
Isaiah prophesies that a pure young woman will give birth to God’s son.
Micah prophesies that Jesus will be born in Bethlehem.
The scribes knew that Bethlehem was the prophesied birthplace of the Messiah.
LESSON 2 – PROPHECY OF ISAIAH ON THE BIRTH OF JESUS CHRIST
Bible Reading – Isaiah 7:14, 9:6-7, 11:1-5
Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Emmanuel.
Isaiah 9:6 – 7
6 For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the greatness of his government and peace
there will be no end.
He will reign on David’s throne
and over his kingdom,
establishing and upholding it
with justice and righteousness
from that time on and forever.
The zeal of the Lord Almighty
will accomplish this.
A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse;
from his roots a Branch will bear fruit.
2 The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him—
the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding,
the Spirit of counsel and of might,
the Spirit of the knowledge and fear of the Lord—
3 and he will delight in the fear of the Lord.
He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes,
or decide by what he hears with his ears;
4 but with righteousness he will judge the needy,
with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth.
He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth;
with the breath of his lips he will slay the wicked.
5 Righteousness will be his belt
and faithfulness the sash around his waist.
THE NAMES OF JESUS THAT ARE FORETOLD THE BIRTH OF JESUS
According to the Prophecy of Isaiah, the following names of Jesus are foretold,
2. Wonderful Counselor
3. Mighty God
4. Everlasting Father
5. Prince of Peace
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps – he/she,
1. Revises the previous lesson based on the pupil’s related knowledge or experience.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in lesson review.
2. Asks pupils to bring out their Bible. At least, the pocket Bible.
3. Guides the pupils to open and read Mathew 1:23.
Pupil’s Activities – Open and read Mathew 1:23.
4. Uses the Bible verse to ask pupils to explains the meaning of Emmanuel.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction and explains the meaning of Emmanuel.
5. Makes a list of prophets that foretold the birth of Jesus and guide the pupils to open and read the supporting Bible references.
Pupil’s Activities – Based on the Bible references, state the names of prophets that foretold the birth of Jesus.
6. Leads pupils to identify the prophecies of Isaiah about the birth of Jesus Christ.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify the prophecies of Isaiah about the birth of Jesus Christ.
7. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in lesson summary and write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
The Promise of Saviour, Why Jesus is Our Saviour | The Kinds of Saviour Jesus is | Importance of a Saviour Primary 3 (Basic 3) Term 2 Week 2 Christian Religious Studies
Ask pupils to:
1. explain the meaning of Emmanuel.
2. mention 3 names of prophets that foretold the birth of Jesus.
3. summary the prophecies of Isaiah concerning the birth of Jesus.
ATTEMPT ALL THE QUESTIONS
1. ________ means God is with us.
2. The meaning of Emmanuel is found in ________.
A. Mathew 1:23
B. Mathew 12:3
C. Mathew 123
3. ________ is a Hebrew name.
C. Jesus Christ
4. ________ is a Greek name.
B. Jesus Christ
5. One of these is not one of the prophets that foretold the birth of the Jesus.
A. Prophet Isaiah
B. Prophet Micah
C. Jesus Christ
5. All these are not prophets that foretold the birth of Jesus except ________.
A. Jesus Christ
6. ________ prophesies that a virgin will give birth to God’s son.
A. The scribes
7. ________ prophesies that Jesus will be born in Bethlehem.
A. The scribes
8. ________ knew that Bethlehem was the prophesied birthplace of the Messiah.
A. The scribes
State 2 names of Jesus in the prophecies of Isaiah.
1. C. Emmanuel
2. A. Mathew 1:23
3. B. Immanuel
4. A. Emmanuel
5. A. Jesus Christ
6. B. Isaiah
7. C. Micah
8. A. The scribes
9 and 10, as stated in the lesson.