Uses of Computer Software Primary 4 (Basic 4) Information Technology (Computer Studies)
COMPUTER STUDIES (INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY)
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – COMPUTER SOFTWARE
PREVIOUS LESSON – MEANING AND EXAMPLES OF APPLICATION SOFTWARE (PRIMARY 4)
TOPIC: USES OF COMPUTER SOFTWARE
2. Uses of Computer Software
3. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the meaning of computer software. with appropriate examples.
2. state uses of computer software.
The pupils can identify and state some of the computer softwares..
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of a computer system with all the necessary software installed.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
A computer software is a set of instructions given to computer to make it function.
Without computer software, computer hardware is useless.
Software is the programs are needed for input, processing, output, storage, and control activities of information systems.
Installation of a computer software is the act of making the software with the computer.
Teacher guides pupils to install and uninstalled any software for pupils to understand the importance of computer software.
LESSON 2 USES OF COMPUTER SOFTWARE
Application software is used to perform a specific job such as –
1. Creating documents
3. Databases and publications
4. Doing online research
5. Sending email
6. Designing graphics
7. Running businesses
8. Playing games, etc.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher pairs or groups the pupils with a computer each (if available). Or uses the mobile for specific illustrations.
3. Teacher guides each pair or group to locate and play game (or music) with the computer or mobile phone.
Pupil’s Activities – Play game (music) with the computer.
4. Teacher closes the game (music player) and uninstalled the software.
5. Teacher asks pupils open and play the game for the second time.
Pupil’s Activities – Unable to locate and play the computer game (music).
6. Teacher uses the pupil’s responses to introduce the lesson – uses of computer applications.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson instructions to understand the concept of the lesson – uses of computer softwares.
7. Teacher guides pupils to uses other softwares on the computer to confirm the importance of computer software.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify the uses of computer softwares.
8. Teacher leads and guides pupils to state and discuss the uses of computer software in pairs or groups.
Pupil’s Activities – State and discuss the uses of computer software.
9. Teacher summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Setting Up A Computer System – Computer Cables
Teacher asks pupils to:
1. explain the meaning of computer software.
2. give 5 examples of computer software.
3. state 3 uses of computer software.