Values that promote peace – Meaning and Importance of National Unity Primary 6 (Basic 6) – Civic Education
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME: CIVIC EDUCATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – VALUES THAT PROMOTE PEACE – COOPERATION
TOPIC: VALUES THAT PROMOTE PEACE – NATIONAL UNITY
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives – explain what national unity means.
The pupils can define value with appropriate examples.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of report on settlement of conflicts.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Unity is the act of working as a single force composed of different people, organization, bodies, states, or nations.
One Nigeria means being as one people and making sure everyone shares the true identity of one nation.
MEANING OF NATIONAL UNITY
National unity is ability to accept other people from different ethnics or groups as one, irrespective of religion, status, culture and geographical location.
THINGS THAT CONSTITUTE NATIONAL UNITY
1. Emphasizing things that unites us,
2. Respecting the national objectives, coat of arms,
3. Strengthening national bonds.
LESSON 2 – IMPORTANCE OF NATIONAL UNITY
1. It brings about the national development.
2. It helps the government of the nation to understand the people’s need and choices.
3. It strengthens a nation.
4. It brings about safety in a nation.
5. National unity and integration encourages People to share ideas, values and emotional bonds.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Asks pupils to explain the meaning of unity.
3. Listen to their definition and use it to introduce the lesson and lead a discussion on national unity.
4. Uses the national anthem and pledge to explains what constitute national unity.
Pupil’s Activities – Recite National pledge and sing the National anthem.
5. Leads a discussion on the importance of national unity.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the discussion.
6. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Nationalism
Ask pupils to –
1. discuss what National unity means.
2. mention 3 things that constitute to the national unity.
3. state 3 importance of national unity.