THEME – READING
TOPIC – WRITING THE SOUND /a/and /a:/ IN ISOLATION
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. produce the vowel sounds correctly.
2. pronounce words correctly and
3. use combinations of sounds to produce words.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Sound charts and flash cards.l
2. Wall chart containing words with /a/ and /s/
3. Course book.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
1. Using sounds and combinations of sounds to decode unknown words.
2. Production of sounds –
/a/ as in
/s:/ as in
3. Pronunciation of given words correctly.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Writes the sounds /a/, /a:/ in isolation on the board.
3. Produces the sounds in the words as in fat/sat/rat/hat/
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher as he pronounces sounds.
4. Asks the pupils to pronounce after him.
Pupil’s Activities – Say them after the teacher.
5. Guides the pupils to identify the sound in given words.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify each of the sounds on the chalkboard.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. pronounce the sounds in isolation.
2. pronounce words that contain the sounds, and
3. make simple sentences with given words containing sounds.