BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME: BASIC COMPUTER OPERATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – COMPUTER HARDWARE
TOPIC – INPUT DEVICES
Input devices are parts of the computer used to send send data (information) and commands into computer system, e.g. keyword.
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and be able to:
- state the meaning of computer hardware components;
- list the hardware components of a computer;
- list hardware input devices.
The pupils are required to already have learned meaning of computer.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- System unit
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book – Computer Studies for Primary 4
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
COMPUTER HARDWARE COMPONENT – INPUT DEVICES
Lets the pupils type, snap, record, scan, install and play game with input devices.
Asks them the following questions –
- ____________ is used for typing. (keyboard)
- ____________ is used for snapping. (webcam)
- ____________ is used for recording. (webcam)
- ____________ is used for scanning. (scanner)
- ____________ is used for installing. (DVD/CD driver)
- ____________ is used for playing computer game. (joystick)
- ____________ is pointing device. (mouse)
Tells them the answers mentioned are called input devices.
The following are computer hardware input devices –
This is used to enter data into the computer system.
This is pointing device.
This is used for recording sound.
This is used for taking live photos and videos.
This is used for installing software, play and watch video.
This is used for playing computer games.
This copies pictures and pages and turns into images that can be saved on a computer.
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Shows the hardware components that make up the computer;
- Pupil’s Activities – Observe the hardware components in groups.
- Displays pictures of the hardware components – input devices;
- Pupil’s Activities – Identify hardware input devices. Draw and label the hardware components.
1. Explain the meaning of hardware.
2. What is input devices?
3. Identify 5 hardware components – input devices.