Last Updated on September 18, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME: CITIZENSHIP EDUCATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – FIRST TERM EXAMINATION LINKS FOR PRIMARY SCHOOLS
TOPIC: MEANING AND TYPES OF CITIZENSHIP
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to should be able to:
1. state the meaning of Citizenship.
2. what qualify a person as citizen.
The pupils are required to already have learned tradition and culture.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of sample birth certificate and registration form.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF CITIZENSHIP
Citizenship is the right of being a citizen of a country. A Nigerian citizen is a person whose parents come from Nigeria or obtained Nigerian citizenship by registration or naturalization.
QUALIFICATION/TYPES OF CITIZENSHIP
1. Citizen by birth
2. Citizen by registration
3. Citizen by naturalization
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Leads pupils to identify their place of birth and state of origin.
Pupil’s Activities – State their place of birth and origin.
3. Guides pupils to identify themselves as a citizen of Nigeria (if they are).
Pupil’s Activities – Identify themselves as a citizen of Nigeria (if they are).
4. States types of citizenship.
Pupil’s Activities – State types of citizenship.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to answer the following questions.
1. What is a citizen?
2. How many types of citizenship we have
3. __________________, __________________ and __________________ are types of citizenship.