CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS STUDIES
RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – GOD AS FATHER GUIDES HIS CHILDREN
PREVIOUS LESSON – JACOB’S ENCOUNTER WITH GOD
TOPIC – WE ARE CHILDREN OF ONE FATHER
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
- explain how we are children of one father, the creator of us all.
- explain what it means to be in Christ.
- describe the right attitude to one another as members of one family.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
- Pictures of a family.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
- Scheme of Work
- 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
- Course Book
- All Relevant Material
- Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
THE FATHERHOOD OF GOD AND THE BROTHERHOOD OF MAN – John 1:12; John 3:16, Matthew 5:21-24.
THE FATHERHOOD OF GOD
God is the Father of all creations. This is because He creates heaven and earth and that dwell in them.
After creating all things He was very pleased. And God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.” Then, God made Adam and Eve.
THE BROTHERHOOD OF MAN
God is our Father and we are all His children. The Bible says we are all God’s children.
But as many as received Him – Jesus, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name.
If we received Jesus as our Lord and Saviour, we all become brothers and sisters. Jesus taught us not to fight or quarrel with one another. We should forgive one another as our Father forgive all our sins.
We should make peace with one another before going to the church to worship God. As children of God, we should not have any differences among ourselves.
Matthew 5:23 – 24,
Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.
SIGNIFICANCE OF BEING IN CHRIST – 1 John 13:34-35.
God has created us as His children and we should obey Him as our Father. For us to be obedient to God, we have to be in Christ. To be in Christ means
- Experience a new creation
- Enjoy a new life
- Entertain a new loyalty
New creation, life and loyalty are new command in Christ, as written in
I John 13,
34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
ATTITUDE OF CHILDREN OF ONE FATHER – I John 4:7-8.
I John 4,
7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
Our attitudes as parents to children, children among themselves and children to parents are all the same as state in I John 4:7 – 8. Love one another as God is love.
IMPORTANCE OF LIVING IN PEACE
14 Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord.
Where there is unity, people will be able to –
- Love one another
- Live together
- Cheerfully share with another
- Growth and progress
- To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
- To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
- Ask the pupils to explain how members of the same family should behave to one another – Parents to children. Children among themselves. Children to parents.
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate and answer questions.
- Leads pupils to memorize the passage Mark 12:29-31.
- Pupil’s Activities – Take turns in reading and memorizing the given passage.
- Leads the pupils to dramatize a model family life.
- Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the drama.
- Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the discussion.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Attitude of Children of One Father
Attempt all the questions
1. Say the Lord’s prayer, (oral question).
2. God is the Father of all ___________________.
A. of creation
B. of man and woman
C. of trees and animals.
Mention 3 ways we can behave to one another.
State 5 importance of living in peace.