Last Updated on January 10, 2021 by Alabi M. S.
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – UNDERSTANDING BASIC TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Uses of Simple Machines Primary 1 (Basic 1)
TOPIC – THE SAFE USE OF SIMPLE MACHINES IN THE HOME
1. Introductory Activities
2. Safe Use of Simple Machines
3. Dangers of Careless Use of Simple Machines
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
use simple machines in a safe way in home.
Simple machines used at home and in the school.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of chart showing simple machine used in the home and in the school.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Copy as I write or draw as I write. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Review the uses of simple machines at home and in the school.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the lesson review.
Teacher’s remark – Simple machines are very important devices used at home and in the school to make work easy. If not not use properly, it will become harmful devices. Discuss the safe and careless use of simple machines.
On board, copy I as write.
SAFE USE OF SIMPLE MACHINES AT HOME AND IN THE SCHOOL
1. Do not play with any simple machine.
2. Dispose properly, if they are broken or not useful anymore.
3. Keep properly after use.
4. Wash after use.
5. Keep properly after use.
6. Handle with care.
7. Turn off electrical simple machines, if not use.
On board, copy I as write.
LESSON 2 – DANGER OF CARELESS USE OF SIMPLE MACHINES
1. It leads fire outbreak, e.g. match, lighter and all electric appliances.
2. It destroys life and prosperity, e.g. match, lighter and all electric appliances.
3. It causes bleeding, e.g. knife, cutlass, scissor, needle, etc.
4. It causes temporary or permanent injuries, e.g. all simple machines.
5. It leaves permanent marks or scars, e.g. knife, cutlass, fire, etc.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Demonstrates how to safely use simple machines in home.
Pupil’s Activities – State the safe use of simple machines in the home.
3. Guides pupils to identify the dangers in the use of simple machines in the home.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify dangers in the use of simple machines in the home.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to –
1. mention 3 safe uses of simple machines.
2. mention 3 dangers of careless use of simple machines.