Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – AGRICULTURE
PREVIOUS LESSON – Materials Required for Compost Making (Primary 4)
TOPIC – STEPS IN MAKING COMPOST (PIT METHOD)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. state process involved in making composts
2. make composts.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Organic materials
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Compost and manure are used as a fertilizer for growing plants. The different between compost and manure is the content. There are two methods of making composts and manure. Pit and heap methods.
The following are materials needed for making composts and manure –
1. Dried plants such as leaves, grasses, flowers, decayed fruits or seeds, weeds, etc.
3. Farmyard waste
4. Sand dust (little)
STEPS IN MAKING COMPOST
1. Dig a dip pit
2. Spread dried plants such as leaves, grasses, flowers, decayed fruits or seeds, weeds, etc.
3. Add some ashes and animal dungs among dried plants.
4. Add water and cover with soil.
5. Leave for a or two month.
6. After a month or more, the dried plants would have decomposed into a black powdery manure.
7. Ready to apply to the farmland.
Heap method is done by burying compost materials in the soil to decay and moistened with water.
• To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. State the steps in making compost.
Pupil’s Activities – Mention materials and the process involved in making compost.
3. Guides pupils in making compost.
Pupil’s Activities – Making compost.
• To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
• Next Lesson –
Pupils to make a compost with pit or heap methods.