Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
WEEK 2/PRIMARY 6
WEEK 3/PRIMARY 5
THEME – UNDERSTANDING BASIC TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning and Uses of Materials (Types) Primary 5
TOPIC – SAFETY AND ACCIDENTS
1. Meaning of Safety
2. Causes of Accident and Objects that Causes Accident
3. Prevention of Accident
4. Some Safety Devices
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. define safety;
2. state two causes of accident;
3. state some objects that causes accident;
4. Mention three prevention of accident;
5. list some safety devices.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Safety devices
4. Hand gloves
5. Eye shield
6. Reflective caution triangle
7. Road Safety Manual.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Meaning of Safety and Accidents – ASEI PDSI METHOD (Primary 5)
Third Term Scheme of Work and Plan Lesson Note for Basic Science and Technology Primary 4, Primary 5 and Primary 6 Links
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTION
MEANING OF SAFETY
Safety means keeping yourself and others free from harm or danger. That’s being careful not to fall, bump or run into things.
MEANING OF ACCIDENT
Accidents are unplanned or unexpected events that happen to human beings. Accidents can happen everywhere, for example, in the schools, homes, roads and markets.
1. Falling objects
8. Electric Shock
LESSON TWO – CAUSES OF ACCIDENT
1. Running or playing football on a slippery floor.
2. A leaking gas cylinder.
3. Children playing with matches.
4. Use of naked light near a petrol container.
5. Careless use of boiling rings.
6. Leaving water taps open when there is no water.
In the school
1. Slippery football field.
2. Use of naked electric wire in laboratories and classrooms.
3. Failure to keep the school premises clean and tidy.
OBJECTS THAT CAUSES ACCIDENT
1. Broken bottles or plastic
5. Broken chair or table
6. Broken glass
7. Naked wire
LESSON THREE – PREVENTION OF ACCIDENTS
1. Do not allow children to run around on slippery floors.
2. Help old people to climb and descend staircases.
3. Children should not operate gas cylinders.
4. Keep all medicines out of reach of children.
5. Disconnect all electrical appliances when not in use.
6. Always lock water taps when not in use.
In the school
1. Do not play on waterlogged football field.
2. Keep the school compound clean and tidy always.
3. All electrical connections in the laboratory should be done under the supervision of the science teacher.
1. Fire extinguishers
4. Hand gloves
5. Eye shield or goggles
6. Caution signs
7. Seat belts
8. Road signs -zebra crossing
9. Face masks,
10. Dust masks
11. Hearing protection
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Discusses the meaning of safety and accidents with the pupils by citing instance where safety is required.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the class discussion.
3. Asks pupils the causes of accident at home and in the school.
Pupil’s Activities – State the causes of accident at home and in the school.
4. Asks pupils how to prevent accidents at home and in the school.
Pupil’s Activities – Discuss how to prevent accidents at home and in the school.
5. Lets the pupils identify and discuss safety’s devices on the chart.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify and discuss safety’s devices on the chart.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. define safety and accident.
2. list at least three objects (each) that causes accident at home and in the school.
3. state three (3) causes of accident (each) at home and in the school.
4. list at least four (4) safety devices.