Last Updated on July 15, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
THEME – CLOTHING AND TEXTILES
PREVIOUS LESSON – Further Practical Work on Common Articles
TOPIC – Simple Sewing Tools
Classes of Simple Sewing Tools
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. list different types of sewing tools and equipment.
2. classify according to their functions.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Simple Sewing Tools
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTORY QUESTIONS
State 5 simple sewing tools.
1. Tape measure
5. Tailor’s chalk
6. Timble table for cutting
7. Thread of different colours fabrics
8. Brown paper.
Teacher’s Activities – Note the pupil’s points on the board.
CARE OF SIMPLE SEWING, KNITTING AND CROCHETING TOOLS
1. Get a kit for sewing
2. Protect needle, pins thimbles with white powder
3. Scissors used for cutting materials should not be used to cut paper.
4. Protect scissors from rust.
SIMPLE SEWING TOOLS
Good and correct tools make sewing easy and enjoyable.
These tools can be group as follows –
1. Measuring Tools
Measuring Tools are rulers and tape measure.
2. Marking and Tracing tools
Making and tracing tools are tracing wheel, tracing paper and tailor’s chalk.
3. Cutting tools
Cutting tools are scissors and shears.
4. Stitching tools
Stitching tools are pins, needle, sewing thread of different colours and thimble.
SIMPLE SEWING MACHINE
The right and good equipment should be used for the right work.
1. Sewing Marching
It is large equipment used in sewing parts of sewing machine.
2. Others are presser bar, tension disc, spring and screw, needle clamp, shutte case, feed plate, presser foot, spool pin balance wheel, stop motion screw, robin winder and stich regulators.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Displays different sewing tools and equipment.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify and group different types of sewing tools or equipment according to their functions.
3. Demonstrate the use of each tool or equipment.
Pupil’s Activities – Practice the use of sewing tools and equipment.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. state 3 measuring tools.
2. list 3 cutting tools.
3. mention 3 stitching tools.
4. state 5 sewing machine equipment.