THEME – HEALTHY LIVING
PREVIOUS LESSON –
TOPIC – HARMFUL SUBSTANCES
1. Harmful Substances that could be taken into the Body
2. Effects of harmful substances to the body
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify harmful substances that could be taken into the body.
2. state the effect of harmful substances to the body.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Charts, posters showing substances that are harmful to the body.
2. Charts and posters showing the following a drunkard or a smoker.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Display sample of good and rotten foods for the pupils to identify and discuss the benefits of eating good foods.
MEANING OF HARMFUL SUBSTANCES
Harmful substances are food, water, fruits or drugs that are unfit for human consumption.
HARMFUL SUBSTANCES THAT COULD BE TAKEN INTO THE BODY
1. Rotten fruits
2. Under cooked food
5. Drug abuse
6. Expired drugs
7. Unripe fruits
8. Stale foods
EFFECTS OF HARMFUL SUBSTANCES TO THE BODY
1. Running stomach
3. Weaken body
4. Contact diseases
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Dramatize the effects of harmful substances in the body.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Discuss harmful substances that could be taken into the body.
3. Display diagrams of harmful substances.
Pupil’s Activities – Discuss the harmful substances harmful on the chart.
4. Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Dramatize the effect of harmful substances taken into the body.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. mention five substances that are harmful to the body.
2. state two effects of harmful substances to the body.