Last Updated on September 8, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
PLANE GEOMETRIC SHAPES
Circle is a closed curve with all points the same distance from a center point
Characteristics of Circle
- Diameter – distance across a circle through the circle is the diameter.
- Radius – the distance from the center to any point on the circle.
- Circumference – distance round a circle.
Relationship between Diameter and Radius
- Diameter – twice of a radius.
- Radius – half of a diameter.
Triangle is a 3 sided plane figure or shape.
Characteristics of Triangle
- The sum of the inside angels equal to 180.
Types of Triangles
- Equilateral Triangle – 3 equal sides and 3 equal angles.
- Isosceles Triangle – 2 equal sides and 2 equal angles.
- Scalene Triangle – none of its sides or angles are equal.
Quadrilateral is a four sided plane figure or shape.
Characteristics of Quadrilateral
- The sum of the inside angels equal to 360º.
Types of Quadrilateral
- Square – 4 equal sides and 4 equal angles – all angles are at right angles, that’s 90º each.
- Rectangle – 2 equal opposite sides and 4 equal angles – all angles are at right angles, that’s 90º each.
- Rhombus – opposite and angles sides are equal.
- Parallelogram – 2 equal opposite sides and 4 equal angles. Square, rectangle and rhombus are parallelogram.
- Trapezium or Trapezoid – 2 parallel sides.
Pentagon is a five sided figure or shapes.
Characteristics of Pentagon
- 5 equal sides and 5 equal angles.
- The sides and angles of a regular pentagon are equal.