THEME – BASIC COMPUTER OPERATIONS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning (Examples) of Input Devices (Primary 3)
TOPIC – INPUT DEVICES
1. Introductory Activities
2. Identification of Computer Keyboard
3. Description of Computer Keyboard
4. Uses of Computer Keyboard
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify and describe the Computer Keyboard.
2. state the uses of Computer Keyboard.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Keyboard, mouse, pictures or charts showing various input devices, monitor, printer, speaker, pictures or chart showing various output devices.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Displays a functional computer system (if available) for the pupils to identify computer keyboard as input.
Guides the pupils to type short sentences such as my name is Michael and also to perform basic arithmetic.
MEANING OF COMPUTER KEYBOARD
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Asks them to describe and state the features of computer keyboard.
A computer keyboard is one of the input devices used with computer.
FEATURES OF A KEYBOARD
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Guides the pupils to identify the basic features of computer Keyboard.
A keyboard is made of buttons that create letters, numbers, and symbols, as well as other functions.
Letters – A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y and Z.
Numbers – 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.
Symbols or Special Characters – # ₦ & _ – ( ) = % +? ! / : % ” * ‘ : [ ] $ € ¥ ¤ © ® , etc
USES OF COMPUTER KEYBOARD
1. It is used for typing letters, e.g. names, etc.
2. It is used for typing numbers.
3. It is used to enter symbols or characters.
4. It it used for scrolling up, down, right and left.
5. It is used for adding, subtracting, multiplying and diving.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Displays a functional computer system for pupils to identify computer keyboard as input device.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify and describe computer keyboard.
3. Leads pupils to use computer keyboard to input information into the computer.
Pupil’s Activities –
- Observe teacher’s activity.
- Type short sentences using the computer keyboard.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. identify computer computer keyboard as an input device.
2. state the features of computer keyboard.
3. type a short sentence.