RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
THEME – CULTURAL AND SOCIAL VALUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – Types of Marriage (Primary 3)
TOPIC – MARRIAGE PRACTICES IN NIGERIA
1. Introductory Questions and Answers
2. Marriage Practices in Nigeria
3. Functions of Marriage in Individual Live and Community at large
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
describe how marriages are contracted.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Pictures of husbands and wives. (Couples).
2. Pictures or photographs that shows types of marriages.
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON ONE – INTRODUCTORY QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Questions and Answers on Meaning and Types of Marriages.
- State two types of marriages?
- What is the different between two types of marriage mentioned above.
Marriage is a lawful and acceptable union of a man and woman to make up a family. There are 2 types of marriage – monogamy and polygamy marriages.
A lawful and acceptable marriage practice in our community must be done in a proper way.
MARRIAGE PRACTICES IN NIGERIA
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Discussion on Marriage Practices in Nigeria.
The various, proper forms of marriage in Nigeria are:
1. Agreement by the two families by paying bride price.
This is the first stage of marriage.
2. Traditional marriage
This is second stage of marriage.
3. Court wedding
This is third stage and it is either by licence (couple proceed to the church or mosque for certificate) or by certificate (this doesn’t required any church or mosque certificate).
4. Religious marriage either in the church or mosque.
This is the last stage marriage.
LESSON TWO – FUNCTIONS OF MARRIAGES
For more details, visit – Institute in Basic Life Principles
Find out objects used in marriage.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Assigns to pupils the task of discovering how marriage is practiced and the objects used in their communities.
Pupil’s Activities –
- Carry out the investigation.
- Share their findings in class discussion.
3. Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Demonstrate to the pupils the process of marriage practices.
4. Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Demonstrate the functions of marriages in the lives of individual and the community at large.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. describe how marriage is contracted.
2. Assignment – write any two objects used in contracting them.