BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – BASIC COMPUTER OPERATIONS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Features of Computer Parts (Primary 2)
TOPIC – FEATURES OF COMPUTER PARTS
1. Introductory Activities
2. Features of Computer Parts
3. Description of Computer Parts
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. Identify each parts of a computer.
2. describe the features of computer parts e.g Monitor (i.e rectangular shape and has a screen and buttons), keyboard, system unit and printer, etc.
Parts of a Computer
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Computer system
METHOD OF TEACHING – Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Displays a functional computer or chart showing a computer for the pupils to identify and describe.
DESCRIPTION OF THE COMPUTER PARTS
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Discussion on the Features of Computer Parts through basic activities that reveal the description each part of a computer.
1. Computer Monitor
Computer Monitor is part of computer device that show data as pictures.
2. Computer Keyboard
Computer Keyboard is used to type in data into the computer.
A keyboard contains letters of the alphabet – A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y and Z.
The keyboard also contains the numbers – 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.
It also contains special characters such as @ # ₦ & _ – () = % ” * ‘ : /!? +, etc.
3. Computer Mouse
Computer Mouse is used to move cursor around the computer screen.
It is used to select, drag and drop, open and execute a program.
It has 3 buttons such as right and left click buttons and scroll button.
4. Computer Speakers
Computer speakers produced an operating sound, music and video sound.
5. System unit
System Unit is also known as processor.
It is the brain of computer.
Without the system unit, other features of the computer will not work.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Describes features of major computer parts e.g monitor, system unit, keyboard, mouse, etc.
Pupil’s Activities –
- Touch and identify major parts of a computer such as Monitor, system unit, keyboard, etc.
- Describe features of major parts of computer e.g monitor, system unit, keyboard, mouse, etc.
3. Guides pupils to draw a computer showing major parts.
Pupil’s Activities – Draw a computer showing major parts.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
1. draw a computer showing major parts.
2. describe features of computer parts.