Last Updated on March 27, 2021 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (JSS 1)
THEME: BALL GAMES
PREVIOUS LESSON – History and Development of Soccer | Basic Skills and Techniques Involved in Playing Soccer | Rules and Regulations Governing the Soccer Game | Soccer Officials and their Functions JSS 1 (Basic 7) – Physical and Health Education
TOPIC – SOCCER
1. Introductory Activities
2. Basic Skills and Techniques Involved in Playing Soccer
3. Inter Class or School Championship
4. Revision and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. demonstrate the techniques and skills involved in playing the soccer games.
2. apply the rules and regulations governing the soccer games.
3. contest in soccer competitions or championships.
Ball games are any games played with balls. Volleyball is one of the most played ball games in the world. The concept of ball games will enable the students to participate and contest for any competition.
The students can describe soccer game.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Playing courts and pitches
4. Films shows
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Soccer is the most popular game in the world and it’s popularly known as football.
Football is considered a game played by two teams of eleven (11) players on each side, using a round ball, which the players kick up and down on the playing field or any playing space.
A standard football game lasts for ninety (90) minutes; these ninety minutes can make a world of difference in the lives of many.
PRACTICAL DEMONSTRATION OF BASIC SKILLS AND TECHNIQUES OF THE GAME
Teacher’s/Student’s Activities – Training the students to practically demonstrate and perform the following basic skills and techniques of soccer.
5. Ball control
LESSON 2 – APPLICATION OF RULES AND REGULATION GOVERNING THE GAMES
Teacher’s/Student’s Activities – Training the students to practically apply the rules and regulations of soccer games.
These are some of the major rules and regulations of the game:
3. The yellow card rules
4. The red card rules
5. Free kick
6. The rules of penalty kick
7. Corner kick
8. Goal kick
LESSON 3 – PRACTICAL TEST OF BASIC SKILLS AND TECHNIQUES | RULES AND REGULATIONS IN SOCCER GAME | INTER CLASS OR SCHOOL COMPETITION (CHAMPIONSHIP)
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. Trains students to demonstrate and perform the basic skills and techniques of the soccer games.
Student’s Activities –
- Watch teacher’s demonstration of various skills in soccer.
3. Guides students to apply the various rules and regulation governing soccer game.
Student’s Activities – Apply the various skills and techniques to soccer game situation (class inter-group competitions).
4. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Student’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask students to:
1. Demonstrate skills involved in playing soccer.
2. Apply the rules and regulations governing volleyball in a group or inter class game.