THEME – HEALTHY LIVING
PREVIOUS LESSON – Exam Questions – First Term Examination Home Economics Primary 3 (Basic 3)
TOPIC – CARE OF THE HAIR
1. Introductory Activities
2. Process of Caring for Different Types of Hair
3. Hair Infections
4. Materials Needed for Hair Care
5. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify different types of hair and explain the process of caring for them.
2. mention hair infections.
3. list materials used in hair care.
4. keep well cut and groomed hair.
The pupils can identify human and animal hair.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Comb, brush, soap, shampoo, water, cream, towel, basin, etc.
2. Sample of artificial hairs.
3. With the school permission, asks the pupils (mostly the girls) to come with free style hairs. It is optional.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Copy as I write or draw as I write. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
Teacher’s Activities – Call out some pupils with unique type of hair (if available) or display charts showing natural hair for the to identify the difference.
Pupil’s Activities – Response to teacher’s instructions.
Teacher’s remarks – A great cheer for quick response. Continue discussion on types of hair and ask pupils to state materials needed for hair care and cleaning.
Copy as I write on board.
TYPES OF HAIR
There are different types of hair and they are –
1. Straight hair
2. Wavy hair
3. Curly hair
4. Coiled hair
5. Zig zag hair
ARTICLES USED FOR HAIR CARE AND CLEANING
Materials needed for hair care and cleaning are –
3. Pomade or cream
6. Curling materials, etc.
LESSON 2 – PRACTICAL DEMONSTRATION OF HOW TO CARE AND CLEAN THE HAIR
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – To avoid hair infections, there is need to regularly clean and take care of the hair daily. Guide the pupils to demonstrate how to clean and take care of their hair.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Discuss types of hair.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the discussion.
3. Guide the pupils to state the hair infection.
Pupil’s Activities – State the hair infection.
4. Assembles materials for hair care articles.
Pupil’s Activities – Help assemble hair care materials on table.
3. Demonstrates how to use them.
Pupil’s Activities – Wash, comb and brush their hair, clean and tidy up after demonstration.
4. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. list those things used for caring for hair.
2. name two hair infection that could be contacted at salons and barbing centers.