BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
SMASE – ASEI PDSI METHOD
THEME – CHANGE AROUND US
PREVIOUS LESSON – Change Around Us – Meaning of Soil Erosion | Types of Soil Erosion | Causes of Erosion Primary 5 (Basic 5) – Basic Science and Technology ASEI PDSI METHOD
TOPIC – EROSION
Lesson One – Effects of Erosion
Lesson Two – Controlling Soil Erosion
Lesson Three – Revision and Test
TIME – 40 Minutes each.
By the end of the lesson, pupils should be able to –
1. list the effects or dangers of erosion
2. identify, discuss and implement simple strategies for controlling erosion.
We experience erosion around us. Erosion can have a number of causes, but the effects are usually the same. The most visually noticeable effect is soil damage.
Topsoil is very valuable, because it is nutrient-rich and feeds both seeds and plants. The flow of wind or water can remove topsoil leading to the loss of the nutrients and resources. This makes the soil poor and the crops will not grow well.
Erosion also makes land unusable and in severe cases, it can cause buildings to collapse. During erosion, soil and sediments can also be washed into rivers and streams, clogging up the habitats of animals that live in the rivers and streams or nearby.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
Buckets of water, hand fans. soil and trays (per groups).
Pictures or charts showing erosion.Pictures/posters of large piece of land, flashcards with the following statements: “crops will grow”, “crops will not grow”, “the soil is good”, “the soil is bad”, “land is good for building”, and “buildings cannot be built on the land”.
Rainfall is the main causes of running water and strong wind comes along with different particles especially soil. The pupils understand these concepts.
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Lagos State Scheme of work
Basic Science and Technology
All Relevant Materials
Online Materials – Change Around Us – Effects of Soil Erosion | Controlling Soil Erosion Primary 5 (Basic 5) – Basic Science and Technology
ASEI PDSI LESSON NOTES
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 1 – Effects of Soil Erosion docx
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 2 – Controlling Soil Erosion docx
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 3 – REVISION AND TEST
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. Erosion is the washing away of top _______ by wind, water and other agent of erosion such as human activities.
2. Which of the statements is correct?
A. Erosion increase soil nutrients.
B. Erosion saves life and properties.
C. Erosion change environmental structure.
D. Erosion makes crops to grow well.
3. Which of the statements is not correct?
A. Erosion reduced soil fertility.
B. Erosion reduced the cost of living.
C. Erosion makes crops not to crop well.
D. Erosion destroyed lives and properties.
4. One of these is not the effect of soil erosion.
A. Planting of trees to control soil erosion
B. Increasing the cost of living
C. Decreasing environmental structures
D. Reducing soil nutrients
5. One of these is not the way to control soil erosion.
C. Crops rotation
D. Better drainage
6. Erosion increases the soil fertility.
7. Erosion destroyed lives and prosperity.
8. Erosion is one change around us.
9. Erosion makes the crops to grow well.
10. Afforestation is cutting down of trees while deforestation is the planting of trees.