BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
SMASE – ASEI PDSI METHOD
PREVIOUS LESSON – Change caused by Humans Activities (Pollution) – Meaning (Types) of Pollution | Meaning of Noise Pollution | Effects of Noise Pollution | Ways of Preventing of Noise Pollution Primary 5 (Basic 5) – Basic Science and Technology ASEI PDSI METHOD
TOPIC – EROSION
Lesson One – Meaning and Types of Erosion
Lesson Two – Causes of Soil Erosion
Lesson Three – Revision and Test
TIME – 40 Minutes each.
By the end of the lesson, pupils should be able to –
1. Explain the meaning of erosion.
2. State two causes of erosion
Erosion is the wearing away of the earth’s surface soil by water, wind and other human activities.
Due to erosion, many lives and properties have been lost due to erosion problems in many communities. Common causes of erosion are rainfall, flood events, wind. Also, certain human activities like construction works and bush burning can expose the soil to erosion.
The lesson will enable the pupils to understand and appreciate the concept of erosion and how to avoid these causes of erosion.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Buckets of water, hand fans. soil and trays (per groups).
2. Pictures or charts showing erosion.
Rainfall is the main causes of running water and strong wind comes along with different particles especially soil. The pupils understand these concepts.
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Lagos State Scheme of work
Basic Science and Technology
All Relevant Materials
Online Materials – Method 1 – Change Around Us – Meaning (Types) and Causes of Erosion (Primary 5)
ASEI PDSI LESSON NOTES
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 1 – Meaning and Types of Erosion docx
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 2 – Causes of Soil Erosion docx
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 3 – REVISION AND TEST
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
1. ________ is the washing away of top soil by wind, water and other agent of erosion such as human activities.
C. Human activity
2. The more soil that is washed or blown away from the surface, the deeper the ________ that is caused.
C. Human activity
3. ________ are major types of erosion.
A. air and water pollution
B. air and wind erosion
C. wind and water erosion
4. ________ is the removal top soil by water such as running water, rainwater, river and sea.
A. Water erosion
B. Wind erosion
C. Top erosion
5. ________ is the removal top soil by wind.
A. Top erosion
B. Water erosion
C. Wind erosion
6. One of the these is not the causes of erosion.
C. Poor drainage
7. Which of these is the cause of erosion?
C. Planting of tree
8. Erosion removed the ________.
A. Top food
B. Top plant
C. Top soil
9. Wind and water are the major types of erosion.
10. Human activity is one of the agents of soil erosion.
11. Wind erosion is the removal of top soil by water.
12. Water erosion is the wearing away of the top soil by air.
13. Erosion is a common occurrence in our localities.
14. In Nigeria, many lives and properties have been save due to erosion problems in many communities.
15. Human activities like construction works and bush burning can expose the soil to erosion.