BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – LIVING AND NON LIVING THINGS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Uses of Computer in the Schools Primary 1 (Basic 1)
TOPIC – USES OF COMPUTER IN THE HOSPITAL
1. Introductory Activities
2. Uses of Computer System in the Hospital
3. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to state the uses of a computer in the hospital.
The pupils can use the computer to store information.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of –
1. hospital x – ray,
2. nearest hospital laboratory,
3. lab attendant.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Copy as I write or draw as I write. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Display charts show hospital x – ray report of the hand for the pupils to identify and state where the report comes from.
Pupil’s Activities – This comes from hospital.
Teacher’s remark – Computer can be used in the hospital for many things. If possible, take the pupils to the nearest hospital laboratory to see some of the computers used in the hospital and how they are used. Or invite any lab attendant.
LESSON 2 – USES OF COMPUTER IN THE HOSPITAL
Teacher’s Activities – Based on the trip to the nearest hospital, engage the pupils to discuss the uses of computer in the hospital.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the discussion.
Teacher’s remark – A great cheer for active participation. Listen to them and note the valid points on the board.
On board, copy as I write.
1. It is used for scanning.
2. It is used for x-ray.
3. It is used for treatment.
4. It is used keeping medical records.
5. It is used for analysing reports.
6. It is used for monitoring the patients.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. shows pupils things produced with a computer in the hospital.
Pupil’s Activities – Come out in groups of two to examine what the hospital has produced with computer.
3. Takes pupils to the nearest hospital or medical laboratory.
Pupil’s Activities – Participation on the excursion and discussion.
4. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to mention 3 uses of computer in the hospital.