BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – LIVING AND NON LIVING THINGS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Behaviour of Animals and Benefits of Animals Primary 2 (Basic 2)
TOPIC – COMMON ANIMALS IN THE LOCALITY AND SCHOOL COMPOUND
1. Introductory Activities
2. Identification of Common Animals
3. Name and Collection of Harmless of Common Animals
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Tests)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. identify and name common animals in the school compound.
2. collect and preserve some animals in the school compound, if necessary materials for preservation are available.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Charts and pictures of animals
2. Specimen of animals
4. Live animal
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
Copy as I write or draw as I write. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Take the pupils for a walk within and around the school, observe, identify, name and collect common animals.
Also, use pictures and charts to guide pupils to identify common animals in the school compound.
Pupil’s Activities – Name and collect harmless animals in the school compound.
Teacher’s remark – Animals are living things that need food and water to live unlike the plants. Give a great cheer active participation and write the name of animals identified on board.
On board, copy as I write.
COMMON ANIMALS IN THE SCHOOL COMPOUND
Animals are living things that need food and water to live.
Animals live on land and in the water and they are found within, around and very fast away from us.
Some of these animals are friendly and used for food, work and pets. While others are dangerous and live in the wild.
Common animals in the locality and school are as follows:
9. Toad and frog
13. Mosquitoes, etc.
LESSON 2 – PHOTO ALBUM FOR ANIMALS
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Give the pupils drawing materials, give them instructions on what to draw, organise and guide them to create photo album for animals.
REVISION AND WEEK LESSON ASSESSMENT
As stated in performance objectives or lesson evaluation.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Uses pictures and charts to guide pupils to identify common animals in the school compound.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify animals in their school compound.
3. Demonstrate the correct method of collecting animals for preservation.
Pupil’s Activities – Collects harmless animals in the school compound.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. name 5 common animals in the school compound.
2. collect and display 3 harmless animals in the school compound. Teacher must supervise this question.
ATTEMPT ALL THE QUESTIONS
1. ________________ are living things that need food and water to live unlike the plants.
2. ________________ and ________________ need food and water to live unlike the plants.
C. Plants and animals
3. Animals are living things that need food and water to ________________.
4. Animals live on ________________ and in the ________________.
A. land, water
B. land, ground
C. Water, river
5. Some of these animals are ________________ while some are ________________.
C. friendly and dangerous
6. ________________ is used as pets.
7. Animals are living things that need ________________ and ________________ to live unlike the plants.
C. Food and water
8. ________________ live in water.
9. ________________ is a dangerous animal.
10. ________________ is a friendly animal.