PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (JSS 1)
THEME: PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning/Definition of Recreation, Leisure and Dance Activities | Benefits of Recreation, Leisure and Dance Activities JSS 1 (Basic 7) – Physical and Health Education
TOPIC – IMPORTANCE OF FOOD
1. Introductory Activities
2. Importance of Food
3. Revision and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the students should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
1. state the importance of food.
2. group foods according to their types.
The students can state the importance of food.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Foods are solid or liquid substances that gives essential nutrients to the body.
TYPES OF FOOD
1. Vegetables – Tomato, cabbage, okro, pepper, onion, carrot, etc.
2. Fruits – Orange, mango, pawpaw, apple, pineapple, banana, etc.
3. Grains, legumes, nuts and seeds – Rice, wheat, beans, maize, guinea corn, millets, breads, pasta, noodles, etc.
4. Meat and poultry – Cow, goat, chicken, eggs, etc.
6. Seafood – Fish, crab, crayfish, etc.
6. Dairy foods – Milk, yoghurt, cheese and/or alternatives.
LESSON 2 – IMPORTANCE OF FOOD
1. It eliminates hunger
2. It provides energy.
3. It enhances growth.
4. It increases the body’s resistance to diseases.
5. It ensures recovery from illness.
6. It is used for entertainment.
7. It is used as a source of income.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
Find out the meaning of athletics.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. Asks students to mention different food in their locality and guide them to group according to type.
Students Activities – Mention common food their locality and participate in food grouping.
3. Explains the importance of food to students.
Student’s Activities –
- listens to the teacher’s explanation.
4. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Student’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask students to –
1. explain the meaning of food.
2. name two foods that they like to eat.
3. state any five importance of food.