CULTURAL AND CREATIVE ARTS
JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL (JSS 1)
THEME: PERFORMING ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
TOPIC – DRAMA AND THEATRE
2. Meaning/Definition of Drama and Theatre
3. People Involved in Drama and Theater
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the students should have attained the following objectives –
1. define drama.
2. define theatre.
3. list people involved in drama and theatre.
The students can perform short play drama.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of board, script, textbook showing pictorials of theatre.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. National Curriculum for SSS Classes
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
MEANING OF DRAMA
Drama is the type of literature usually written to be performed.
Also an imitation of an action, e.g. Trials of Brother Jero and The Lion and the Jewel by Wole Soyinka, etc.
Drama is also a play written for theater, television, radio, and film.
MEANING OF THEATRE
Theatre is the performance as well as the place where a performance takes place.
PEOPLE INVOLVED IN DRAMA AND THEATRE
5. Audience, etc.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the students some questions; then, the teacher –
2. Defines drama with examples from local environment e.g Masquerade performance.
3. Lists and explains the duties of the people in the theatre.
Student’s Activities – State duties of the people in the theatre.
4. In groups, let the students play the role of actor/actress and audience in turns.
Student’s Activities – Participate in the role play.
4. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Student’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask students to:
1. state the meaning of drama and the meaning of theatre.
2. list 5 people involved in a drama/theatre.