PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – UNDERSTANDING BASIC TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Meaning of Basketball | Basic Skills in Basketball Primary 2 (Basic 2)
TOPIC – BASIC SKILLS IN BASKETBALL
2. Bouncing Skill of Basketball
3. Passing Skill of Basketball
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. explain the meaning of basketball.
2. mention and perform basic skill in Basketball – bouncing and passing.
3. bounce and pass ball.
The pupils can differential between football and basketball.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of Playground, Pictures, Textbooks, Balls, Whistle.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
There are different types of ball games.
Football, volleyball, basketball, tennis tennis, baseball, etc. are good example of ball games.
MEANING OF BASKETBALL
Basketball is one of the ball games played with hands by shooting a ball through a raised goal called a basket.
BASIC SKILLS IN BOUNCING BASKETBALL
Bouncing ball is the movement of ball up and down by hitting.
Bouncing skills are,
1. Bouncing on the spot
2. Bouncing on a motion
3. Bouncing while keeping eyes on the teammate.
4. Bouncing with open and spread the ball.
LESSON 2 – BASIC SKILLS IN PASSING BASKETBALL
Passing ball in basketball is the movement of ball between teammates.
A good pass is a pass a teammate can catch.
Passing skills are,
1. When passing, step toward your receiver.
2. When catching, step toward the pass.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Displays chart showing basketball game or play a short video of basketball game, if available.
3. Lets pupils describe the game on the chart or watch the video and discuss.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify the game and discuss.
4. Uses the pupil’s responses to introduce the lesson and leads discussion on the meaning of basketball and its basic skills.
Pupil’s Activities – Explain the meaning of basketball and state the skills.
5. Displays chart showing bouncing and passing basketball or play a short video for both.
Pupil’s Activities – Identify and differential between bouncing and passing basketball.
6. Uses pupil’s responses to demonstrate bouncing and passing skills of basketball.
Pupil’s Activities – Observe the demonstrations and practices the skills taught.
7. Observes pupils and assists them.
8. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary of the lesson and write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Basic Skills in Basketball – Dribbling Primary 2 (Basic 2) Term 2 Week 3 Physical and Health Education
Ask pupils to –
1. explain the meaning of basketball.
2. mention and perform basic skill in basketball – bouncing and passing.
3. bounce and pass basketball.
perform bouncing and passing skills of basketball game.
WEEKLY ASSESSMENT TEST
1. _____ is one of the ball games played with hands by shooting a ball through a raised goal called a basket.
2. _____ ball is the movement of ball up and down by hitting.
3. _____ ball in basketball is the movement of ball between teammates.
4. A good pass is a pass a teammate can _____.
5. Bouncing and passing activities.
- Score the pupils based on activities performed.
1. B. Basketball
2. B. Bouncing
3. A. Passing
4. C. catch
5. Pupil’s performance.