Last Updated on January 8, 2021 by Alabi M. S.
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
THEME – UNDERSTANDING BASIC TECHNOLOGY
PREVIOUS LESSON – Basic Skills in Basketball – Bouncing and Passing Primary 2 (Basic 2)
TOPIC – BASIC SKILLS IN BASKETBALL
1. Introductory Activities
2. Dribbling Skill of Basketball
3. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, the pupils should have attained the following objectives (cognitive, affective and psychomotor) and should be able to –
mention and perform two basic skill in Basketball – dribbling.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Material
Copy as I write or draw as I write. This instruction should be given when you need the pupils to write or draw.
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTORY ACTIVITIES
Teacher’s Activities – Demonstrate the dribbling basic skill and guide the pupils to do the same.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate in the activities.
Teacher’s remark – Dribbling is one of the basic skills in basketball.
MORE PRACTICE ON DRIBBLING HOW TO DRIBBLE A BASKETBALL
According to jr.nba,
1. Keep your head up and your eyes on the game.
2. Don’t look at the ball.
3. Extend your arm and snap your wrists to send the ball into the ground.
4. Use your fingers, not your palm, to control the ball.
5. Do not bounce the ball too high while dribbling. That will give you more control over the ball make it harder for defenders to steal the ball.
6. Use your body and your non-dribbling arm to shield the ball from defenders.
LESSON 2 – PRACTICE AND PERFORM THROWING AND CATCHING
Teacher’s/Pupil’s Activities – Guide the pupils to follow the above instructions to demonstrate and perform dribbling skill.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Demonstrates the basic skills e.g. dribbling.
Pupil’s Activities – Observe teacher’s demonstrations. Practices the skills taught.
3. Observes pupils and assists them.
4. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as the teacher writes.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Pupils to perform dribbling skill of basketball.