RELIGION AND NATIONAL VALUES
PREVIOUS LESSON – Means of Water and Air Transportation | The Problems and Solutions to the prob of Water and Air Transportation Primary 6 (Basic 6) Term 2 Week 4 Social Studies
TOPIC: GENDER DISCRIMINATION
2. Meaning of Gender Discrimination
3. Consequences of Gender Discrimination
4. Ways of Reducing Gender Discrimination
5. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. Identify areas in which gender discrimination are occurring in their community;
2. Discuss the consequences of such acts of gender discrimination;
3. Suggest ways through which gender discrimination can be reduced.
The pupils identify some of the work assigned to people based on their genders.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of relevant posters and photographs.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
Gender discrimination means unequal treatment or a situation in which girls and women are treated less than man because of their sex.
Gender discrimination is the idea and situation based on a person’s gender or sex, which more often affects girls and women.
That is, unequal treatment between a boy and a girl or man and women.
The areas in which gender discrimination occurred are:
6. Social activities
7. Security and defence, etc.
LESSON 2 – THE CONSEQUENCE OF GENDER DISCRIMINATION
The consequences of gender of gender discrimination are as follows:
1. Under utilization of human resources,
2. Denials of equal opportunities,
3. Denials of fundamentals human right.
4. Demoralization or discouragement.
WAYS OF REDUCING GENDER DISCRIMINATION
The ways to reduce gender discrimination are as follows:
1. Equal opportunity for men and women,
2. Respect for the fundamental human rights of women,
3. Abrogation of culture which are inimical to women, etc.
LESSON 3 – REVISION AND WEEKLY ASSESSMENT (TEST)
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. To introduce the lesson, the teacher revises the previous lesson. Based on this, he/she asks the pupils some questions;
2. Teacher displays chart showing different professions.
3. Teacher organizes the pupils in groups or pairs to identify each profession.
4. Teacher asks the groups or pairs to state the reasons why men or women are more a particular profession than the others. For example, there are women in teaching profession than men and other there are men in engineering than women.
Pupil’s Activities – State the reasons why men or women are more a particular profession than the others in their community.
5. Teacher uses the group’s or pair’s responses to introduce the lesson – gender discrimination.
Pupil’s Activities – Pay attention to the lesson introduction to understand the concept of gender discrimination.
6. Teacher leads a discussion on the meaning of gender discrimination and the consequences of discriminating.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the class discussion.
7. Teacher states and discuss other areas where are gender discriminations.
Pupil’s Activities – Mention more areas of gender discrimination in their community.
8. Teacher guides the pupils to identify and discuss ways of reducing gender discrimination in Nigeria.
Participate in the discussion on ways through which gender discrimination can be reduced in our community.
9. Summarizes the lessons on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the summary and write as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Teacher asks pupils to:
1. List 3 areas in which gender discrimination occurs;
2. State 2 consequences of gender discrimination;
3. List 2 ways through which gender discrimination can be reduced in the community.