Meaning of Hurdle Race | Basic Skills of Hurdle Race Primary 6 (Basic 6) – Physical and Health Education
PHYSICAL AND HEALTH EDUCATION
THEME – TRACK AND FIELD EVENTS
PREVIOUS LESSON – Track Events – 4 x 400 Relay Race – Basic Skills of Relay Race (Primary 6)
TOPIC – HURDLE
1. Introductory Activities
2. Meaning of Hurdle Race
3. Basic Skills of Hurdle Race
4. Lesson Evaluation and Weekly Assessment (Test)
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. mention the skills in hurdles;
2. demonstrate the hurdle skills.
The pupils can run and jump.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Hurdle frame/stand
2. Whistle/Starting gun
3. Stop watch
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
Scheme of Work
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
All Relevant Materials
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
MEANING OF HURDLE
Hurdles or hurdling is a track and field event sport. It involves running and jumping over barriers (obstacles) at speed.
There are four categories of hurdle events:
100 metres (for women)
110 metres (for men)
400 metres (both men and women).
LESSON 2 – BASIC SKILLS IN HURDLE
1. The Starting position
2. Approach to the 1st hurdle
3. Clearing the hurdle
4. Running between hurdle
PRACTICE AND HURDLE RACE COMPETITION
- Organize the pupils into group.
- Let them decide two boys and girls to represent their group in the competition.
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. Revises the previous lesson based on the pupil’s related knowledge or experience.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the lesson review.
2. Displays a chart showing hurdle or play a video clip on hurdle race.
3. Lets describe the race on the chart.
Pupil’s Activities – Differentiate between distance race and hurdle.
4. Uses the chart to introduce and explain hurdle race.
5. Explains the skills involved in hurdles.
Pupil’s Activities – Listen to the teacher’s explanation and explain.
6. Take pupils out to the demonstrates and perform basic skills in hurdle race.
Pupil’s Activities – Watch teacher’s demonstration and perform the basic skills correctly.
7. Organizes hurdle race competition.
Pupil’s Activities – Participate actively in the competition.
8. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Copy as instructed.
- To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
- Next Lesson – Track and Field Events – High Jumps – Materials of High Jump – Basic Skills and Style of High Jump – Practical Demonstration of High Jump (Primary 6)
Ask pupils to –
1. explain the meaning of hurdle race.
2. differentiate between distance race and hurdle.
3. List 5 basic skills of hurdle race.