Last Updated on December 6, 2020 by Alabi M. S.
TOPIC: Mineral Resources
Lesson One – Meaning of Mineral Resources, Types and Sources of Mineral Resources
Lesson Two – Importance of Mineral Resources
Lesson Three – Consequences of Over Exploitation of Mineral Resources on Environment
Lesson Four – Revision/Test
TIME – 40 Minutes each.
By the end of the lesson, pupils should be able to:
1. name some of the mineral resources found in Nigeria and their sources.
2. identify the mineral resources based on observable characteristics.
3. state the importance of mineral resources to Nigeria.
There are many mineral resources in Nigeria. They can be found in the earth in many locations in the country. Minerals form part of the wealth of our environment. They all help to earn money for the nation. Man has learnt to take out these minerals and treat them until they are in the right form that we can use.
The concept of mineral resources will enable pupils to understand and appreciate the importance of mineral resources.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Samples of minerals or ores (or pictures) e.g. tin – ore, crude oil, alum, marble.
2. Kerosene, Grease, Engine Oil, Polythene bags, Clothing materials, Vaseline, etc.
The pupils are familiar with some of the products of these minerals resources but the really don’t know the source of some of these products.
9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
Lagos State Scheme of work
Basic Science and Technology Book 6
All Relevant Materials
ASEI PDSI PLAN ON MINERAL RESOURCES
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 1 – MINERAL RESOURCES docx
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 2 – IMPORTANCE OF MINERAL RESOURCES docx
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 3 – CONSEQUENCES OF OVER EXPLOITATION OF MINERAL RESOURCES ON ENVIRONMENT docx
LESSON DEVELOPMENT 4 – REVISION/TEST
Other Plan Lesson Notes – Mineral Resources in Nigeria | Benefits of Mineral Resources | Consequences of Over Exploration of Mineral Resources Primary 6 (Basic 6)
Attempt all the questions.
1. ___________________ is the wealth of nation.
c. Mineral resources
2. Minerals resources are found in ___________________.
3. Petroleum is a byproduct of ___________________.
a. Crude oil
b. Engine oil
c. Diesel oil
4. Cement is a byproduct of ___________________.
5. Mineral salt, zinc, copper, phosphorus and calcium are good source of ___________________.
State the three form of minerals.
9. ___________________ is the extraction of mineral resources.
10. ___________________ is one of the consequences of over exploitation.