THEME – BASIC CONCEPTS OF AGRICULTURE
PREVIOUS LESSON – Common Crops – Plants Around Us – At Home and School (Primary 1)
TOPIC – PARTS OF CROP PLANTS
1. Introductory Activities
2. Common Crop Plants Around
3. Parts of Crop Plants
By the end of the lesson, most of the pupils should have attained the following objectives –
1. Identify some crop plants by their common names in English and local language.
2. Name parts of a crop plant.
3. Draw or sketch a crop plant.
The pupils can identify come crop plants like maize and yam.
The teacher will teach the lesson with the aid of:
1. Freshly up-rooted crop plant specimen e.g. Maize, mango, pawpaw, etc.
2. Chart of well labeled crop plant.
METHOD OF TEACHING
Choose a suitable and appropriate methods for the lessons.
Note – Irrespective of choosing methods of teaching, always introduce an activities that will arouse pupil’s interest or lead them to the lessons.
1. Scheme of Work
2. 9 – Years Basic Education Curriculum
3. Course Book
4. All Relevant Material
5. Online Information
CONTENT OF THE LESSON
LESSON 1 – INTRODUCTION
NAMES OF COMMON CROP PLANTS
5. Yam, etc.
Note – The above crop plants have common parts.
PARTS OF CROP PLANT
The main parts of a crop plant include:
The above parts of crop plants can be classified into two (2) types –
1. Shoot system
2. Root system
To deliver the lesson, the teacher adopts the following steps:
1. Revises the previous lesson based on the pupil’s related knowledge or understanding.
2. Takes pupils round the school compound.
Pupil’s Activities – Observe crop plants around the school compound.
3. Helps them identify some crop plants and name their parts by using a corresponding chart showing parts of the plants.
Pupil’s Activities – Name some crop plants and identify their parts.
4. Displays chart showing different parts of one or more plants.
Pupil’s Activities – Draw one or two plants.
5. Summarizes the lesson on the board.
Pupil’s Activities – Write as instructed.
To conclude the lesson for the week, the teacher revises the entire lesson and links it to the following week’s lesson.
Ask pupils to:
1. Name 5 crop plants by their local name.
2. Identify parts of a crop plant – maize.
3. Draw a crop plant – maize.
4. Group the following in shoot or root system –